Lisa's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

There seems to be two groups of people: those that really liked it, and those that do not.

The majority, of course, did enjoy it quite a bit, judging by the 4.44/5 rating, but I can understand that it wasn’t for everyone.

It’s high fantasy. It’s a whooping 800 pages. It can get tedious. There’s a lot to keep track of, characters and plots and locations and family names, it comes with a massive amount of description, it sounds like it was written in the 1800’s… you get the point. And then when you finish this book, there are other 5 others to read, all just as long, if not more so. It’s not for everyone to struggle through. But when you do, I think when you do struggle through this tedious, whoop ass thick book, it is invigorating.

“NERD” I hear a part of my brain shouting. It is indeed for nerds.

Game of Thrones is a good book. I’ve finished book three at the time of this review, so I can safely say that the other books are just as good. Although, I suspect the author is just making it up as he goes along now.

The characters are excellently written. I mean, most of them are horrible people, but definitely well written. A large number of them are also underage, and it’s still a surprisingly engaging read. Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jon, Robb and Daenerys are all very young, but their perspectives all have different voices. And it’s a nice contrast between them. Martin doesn’t just lump the children together, or even the boys and the girls. Arya and Sansa are different as day and night. Jon and Robb sound similar enough to hint at their up-bringing.

It would be impossible to give a quick review of the synopsis, because it follows a variety of characters at as many locations.

Overall, I’d say that Game of Thrones is a long but valuable read for those who enjoy such stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Finished Reading
May 1, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review sweetie :)

Lisa Jessica's wrote: "Great review sweetie :)"

TY very much :)