"Avonna's Reviews > Among the Wicked

Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo

bookshelves: net-galley

I am never disappointed when I get my hands on a Kate Burkholder story by Linda Castillo. Among The Wicked is the eighth book and there are three novellas. It is as strong as the first in the series! Ms. Castillo’s writing style pulls me in and keeps me reading as Kate suffers the trials and tribulations of solving another crime involving the Amish. The climax had me stunned with a great plot twist!

Police Chief Kate Burkholder is asked to go on leave in Painters Mill, OH and go undercover as a plain widow in an Amish community in upstate New York to discover what happened to a young Amish girl found frozen to death and the possible abuse of children. As Kate becomes familiar with the Amish of this community, she is puzzled by the extreme reverence and/or real fear of the families towards their Bishop. She becomes aware of disappearances, physical punishments and strange youth counselling by or with the blessing of Bishop Schrock which would never happen in any other Amish community.

Kate’s questions not only focus on the possible crimes in the community, but are self-directed as well. She and BCI Agent Frank Tomasetti’s personal lives are moving along well, but she misses the sense of community the Amish women experience. She has to deal with her feelings about her Amish roots, which need to be made without blinders to keep herself safe and alive in the present. The evil in this Amish community is more than anyone was expecting.

Thank you very much to St. Martin’s Press and Net Galley for giving me a free eARC in exchange for an honest review. I love Kate Burkholder!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Wicked.

May 1, 2016 – Shelved
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 30, 2016 – Started Reading
June 30, 2016 – Shelved as: net-galley
June 30, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Frances (new)

Frances I haven't read any Linda Castillo books Avonna. Good review.

"Avonna Thank you, Linda. You really should give them a try. Very true to life Amish situations mixed with a strong police/thriller plot. I always put these at the top of my TBR immediately.

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances Avonna wrote: "Thank you, Linda. You really should give them a try. Very true to life Amish situations mixed with a strong police/thriller plot. I always put these at the top of my TBR immediately."

Oops ... It's Frances, Avonna. :-0) I just looked at all her books; didn't realize she has written so many - lots to choose from!

"Avonna SORRY, Frances!!! Hope you try them!

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances Avonna wrote: "SORRY, Frances!!! Hope you try them!"

lol Avoona; no worries! Yes, I will start with #1!

"Avonna Great!

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, Avonna! ;)

message 8: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Avonna!!!

"Avonna Thanks, Arianna! And thanks, Deanna! Linda Castillo is coming to a local library July 15th and I can't wait to see her again. I haven't seen her in person since 2012 Bouchercon.

"Avonna Loved Linda Castillo's talk at the Middleburg Hts. CCPL! If you get the chance, see her in person. She is extremely nice and interesting. If not, make sure you read her books!