Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

bookshelves: classics, romance, favorites-all-time, read-for-school
Read 3 times. Last read April 29, 2019 to May 2, 2019.

Buddy read with Rachel!

What can I say about this book? Well, since I'm on vacation, it's going to be a few short words. Plus, what more can I say that hasn't been said before? Nothing.

There are two things that stand out to me about this book. Not about the plot or the story or anything like that, but the characters. All of them, to this day, feel so real. Everyone has that crazy relative who is obsessed with marriage. You have a family member who is just frivolous and cares only about themselves. The sensible relative, the one you would trust anything to. It all rings so true, and it's absolutely amazing.

One character who stands out to me is Charlotte Lucas. Most people, well, they don't seem to understand her. But, I understood her literally from the first time I read this book. Women had no rights. She was close to being an old maid. She needs to marry so no one has to take care of her. So, of course she's going to marry a man who seems somewhat sensible, someone she can at least deal with for the rest of their lives together. Pop out a couple of kids, manage his accounts, and Mr. Collins will completely treat her as a doting husband would. And, holy shit would he be a doting husband.

The other character is, of course, Mr. Darcy. Ugh. I love him. My first time reading this -- which was when I was a freshman in high school for a project in honors English -- I went through the same motions of Elizabeth. Dislike, hatred, understanding, love. However, that first proposal? So romantic. I will forever search to use that famous line:

"You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

The next time I read it, I really connected with Mr. Darcy. Like him, I am painfully awkward, tend to shy away from crowds and people I don't know, and come off a bit proud and haughty the first time around just because I like keeping myself away. But, once you get to know me, I won't fucking shut up. Ask my mom. She's used to it by now. Mr. Darcy is what makes this book for me. Not Elizabeth, surprisingly. Love her character, but I like watching Mr. Darcy progress as the book goes in favor of her. They both go through such a character arc, like great dynamic characters should, and I just love it each and every time I have a chance to crack open this book.

Quotes Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his) Liked

Jane Austen
“What are men to rocks and mountains?”
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

October 13, 2012 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
July 20, 2013 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
page 79
28.32% (Paperback Edition)
page 100
35.84% (Paperback Edition)
50.0% (Paperback Edition)
July 23, 2013 –
90.0% (Paperback Edition)
July 23, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites-all-time (Paperback Edition)
July 23, 2013 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
February 27, 2015 – Shelved as: classics (Paperback Edition)
August 20, 2015 – Shelved as: read-for-school (Paperback Edition)
May 1, 2016 – Started Reading
May 1, 2016 – Shelved
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: classics
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
May 1, 2016 –
page 14
4.38% "Buddy reading with Rachel!"
May 2, 2016 –
page 59
18.44% "I forgot how tedious Mr. Collins is."
May 9, 2016 –
page 77
24.06% "Rainy evening? Check.\n Pride and Prejudice soundtrack on repeat? Check.\n Perfect time to read this book."
May 10, 2016 –
page 105
32.81% "From the start, I 100% understood why Charlotte decided to marry him."
May 10, 2016 –
page 108
33.75% ""Indeed, Mr. Bennet," said she, "it is very hard to think that Charlotte Lucas should ever be mistress of this house, that I should be forced to make way for her, and live to see her take her place in it!"\n \n "My dear, do not give way to such gloomy thoughts. Let us hope for better things. Let us flatter ourselves that I may be the survivor."\n \n This was not very consoling to Mrs. Bennet."
May 11, 2016 –
page 154
48.13% ""In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."\n \n \n \n I will forever look for a reason to use some of that passage."
May 11, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites-all-time
May 11, 2016 – Shelved as: read-for-school
May 11, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 29, 2019 – Started Reading
May 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Ashley I like how this is just "a few short words". Ha.

Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his) Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "Amazing review, m'dear <3"

Thank you!

Ashley wrote: "I like how this is just "a few short words". Ha."

I tried to keep it short, but... I can't shut up.

Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his) Even on vacation, when I've been traveling all day, can't shut up.