Emily (theBookishLounge)'s Reviews > Soon

Soon by Morris Gleitzman

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade, historical-fiction

This was a nice addition to the series set after World War II showing the continuously difficult circumstances faced by survivors. Although I felt the writing was a little too juvenile and straightforward for my liking, this book is a heavy read especially since it's aimed towards children/the middle grade audience. There's an overall melancholic tone throughout this short book and it's really quite disturbing seeing the horrors of the war an its impact on Polish society.

I felt the way Felix reacted and thought about particular situations faced were unrealistic and his ability to bypass literally impossible situations became ridiculous after a while. I don't know but the way he spoke sometimes just made me really annoyed but I can see how much he's gone through and I did like he sense of maturity in some situations. On the other hand, he can be pretty stupid at times. Anya was a good addition to the story and honestly I found her backstory was so heartbreaking.

I was quite surprised about the direction of the plot and towards the end, I really wonder whether this is suitable for children. The thing is this book deals with some dark stuff surrounding the Holocaust and its aftermath like rape, horrific human experiments, gangs and a lot of violence. However, I felt a lot of the issues were brushed over (this is a children's book after all) but I think more depth is needed telling a story to do with WWII. As a result, I didn't get as emotional as I thought I should with everything that goes on in this book.

Now I need to talk about the ending. If you haven't read this book yet, I highly don't recommend opening this spoiler tag: (view spoiler)

Honestly, I only read this book because I thought it was the last book of the series and I wanted to finish it but I've heard that the author's writing 2 more books. I don't think I have the motivation to continue with this series because it seems never-ending but we'll see.

Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soon.

May 1, 2016 – Shelved
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 24, 2016 – Shelved as: middle-grade
July 5, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
September 16, 2016 – Started Reading
September 17, 2016 –
page 91
43.75% "Ahhh Felix, I've forgotten what an annoying... thing he is (tbh I've probably forgotten most of the plot of the series)."
September 18, 2016 – Finished Reading