Jacinda's Reviews > The Unwritten Rule

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Apr 21, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read on May 06, 2011

I went into reading The Unwritten Rule knowing it was going to involve cheating. The line: Everyone knows the unwritten rule: you don’t like your best friends boyfriend, pretty much says it all. I was expecting to get upset at our protagonist, Sarah, in The Unwritten Rule, but I wasn’t upset with her whatsoever, which surprised me just a bit. I was upset with…THE MEAN GIRL!

Who is this mean girl in The Unwritten Rule you may be asking? That would have to be Sarah’s ever-loving since kindergarten best friend Bianca. I could probably talk about her all day long and this review could end up being a book. Every situation, circumstance, and conversation between Bianca and Sarah throughout the years that was written for the reader to know, I over analyzed. I don’t overly think about things, but I kept thinking about how even the start of their relationship is exactly how it is today. Overall, Bianca just made my blood boil. She always put down Sarah and used her as a tool, in some ways, with boys.

Since I’ve been completely stuck on Bianca from the beginning of this review, I’m going to say a bit about Sarah. I felt horrible seeing how Bianca treated her over the years. I will say that I’m very proud of her for finally understanding how Bianca actually was. Sarah designed shoes, not just shoes, only sneakers. I thought this was so cool she used sneakers to express herself and her art! It was also one thing she had in common with Ryan-art. Sarah’s parents are the parents everyone wants to have. They are loving, caring and actually notice changes in their daughter.

If it was Elizabeth Scott’s goal to write a best friend into a story that everyone would hate, she accomplished it. Elizabeth made the plot move along nicely and it was a great quick to read while I was on vacation even with all the witchy, mean girl stuff in my head.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten Rule.

message 1: by Jasprit (last edited May 20, 2011 02:40AM) (new) - added it

Jasprit Great review, I've had this book for ages, just haven't had the chance to read it, now that I've read you're review it sounds really similar to a book I finished a few days ago called something borrowed