Angieleigh's Reviews > The Promise

The Promise by A.B. Michaels

bookshelves: 2016-reading-challenge, fiction, historical, kindle, review-copy

I have a deep abiding love for historical books. When I was asked if I would read and review this book I jumped at the chance, especially as it was set in a time period that I wasn’t that knowledgeable about.

San Francisco is rocked by a powerful and deadly earthquake the morning of April 18, 1906. Thousands are left homeless, while thousands more perish in the rubble. The United States Army moves in quickly after the quake to keep order and peace in the aftermath, including putting out fires, fixing water mains, and creating a large and orderly tent city on the grounds of the Presidio to house as many homeless people as they possibly could.

I was fascinated by the fact that the tents were set up in districts and that the lanes between sections had street names. Shop owners quickly set up shop where they could to sell goods and there was even a restaurant/pub.

I found the history that Michaels incorporated into the story line to be powerful. In less than 200 pages she is able to weave what should be an impossible love story among the tragedy that has hit a once booming city.

Charlie is a strong female lead who quickly takes charge not only of her sister, but of her aunt who refuses to leave her home because she can’t bear to be away from the memories of her deceased husband and young son. She falls instantly in love with Ben, the corporal who happens upon the women after Marget’s house is basically destroyed.

Young Berry seemingly steals the “show” from the love story that is developing between Ben and Charlie, as she believes with a child’s faith that Ben will not only find Miss Evie, the rag doll that her mother made her before her death, but that he will find the women wherever they end up.

I cheered on Ben as he was able to face insurmountable odds to not only locate the doll, but to also do what he can to find the women, believing that Charlie is his One, all the while keeping the peace amidst the wide-ensuing panic, and being honor-bound to stick his nose where it doesn’t always necessarily belong.

I was not fond of Richard, Charlie’s suitor back home, as he seemed to like playing Janie, his and Charlie’s childhood friend, and Charlie against each other. Charlie is sure that Janie is in love with Richard, and he is hellbent to make Charlie his wife and basically control everything that will happen in their lives, down to the number of children they will have.

Marget, I both felt sorry for her and wanted to throttle her. I could appreciate her depression over losing her husband and son, but when she was bossy over the girls I wanted to pop her upside the head with her cane. Thankfully Berry steps up and puts their aunt in her place…who doesn’t seem to mind.

I enjoy reading about people who fall in love instantaneously and know that they’ve found their One…probably because as soon as I looked at my husband I knew that he would be the one who I’d spend the rest of my life with (and twenty one years later I am glad that I went with my instinct). Things don’t work themselves out immediately, there’s plenty of obstacles to stand in the way of them, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.

I would love to know more about Amos and Jennie as they are perfect secondary characters.

I highly recommend this book and can’t wait to read the others in this series.

Of Note: Coarse language, fighting, kissing scenes, but no open or closed door love scenes.

Disclaimer: I received a review copy in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Promise.

April 30, 2016 – Shelved