Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)'s Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

I was excited to read Before I Go To Sleep as the subject matter, amnesia, seems really interesting. When Christine wakes up every day, she doesn't know who she is. The main part of this novel consists of a diary that Christine starts to keep to try and remind herself of important things (her age and the fact that she has husband, amongst other things). I liked that we only knew as much as Christine each day - like her, we slowly began to learn more about who she was, who she now is and how all of the events inbetween effect her future. We were living through her and I felt as though I was getting put in her shoes.
This was a fantastic debut novel from S.J. Watson but it wasn't without flaws - there were quite a few things that just didn't make sense and things were obviously done for convenience for the author. Towards the end, the big 'twist' wasn't all that unpredictable. I think that one of my main issues with the book is that I simply couldn't believe that the main 'twist' could've gone unnoticed by so many people.
All in all, although this book didn't have me on the edge of my seat, it held my interest and it did have a very unsettling edge to it which was effective and appropriate to the tone of the book. I'd certainly be interested in reading any future work that Watson has to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.

11/27/2011 page 209
05/22/2016 marked as: read

Sarah sounds like a good one