Lydia Howe's Reviews > Widow of Gettysburg

Widow of Gettysburg by Jocelyn Green

liked it
bookshelves: 2016-fiction, 2016-three-star, read-in-2016

I enjoyed this book better than the first book in the series and there were even times when I thought it might be a four-star read, but then there were several things that happened that kept it at three stars.

"Widow of Gettysburg" was interesting and informative, and seemed a lot less redundant than the first book. Again, it's a serious book, not a feel-good one (not a bad thing at all, just an observation) as it made the war come alive. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and could feel their struggle. War is a horrible thing and this book clearly highlighted that. I find the Cilvil War to be especially sad since it was our country fighting against our country.

The book also deals a lot with former slaves and how they were ill treated and all the repercussions that came from that. I think it's important for us to know and remember the history because if we don't, we're so likely to repeat it. For most of the book I thought the author handled the situations well, but then there were several parts that came up that I didn't appreciate and felt that maybe the author was using the issues to bring more drama to the book than anything else.

I'm hoping that the third book continues the climb that the second book made from the first and I'm looking forward to seeing what points of the war it focuses on.

I'm giving "Widow of Gettysburg" 3 out of 5 stars, 6 out of 10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Widow of Gettysburg.

April 23, 2016 – Started Reading