Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘'s Reviews > Raw Blue

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

4.5 stars. I came to realize that there's something quite magical in reading books that I can label without any doubt as realistic fiction : trapped in that state of harsh honesty, when they're the most vulnerable to any objective analysis, the characters never annoy me. Give me a special snowflake and my mind will rip any flaw to shreds - not because I'm mean, simply because I cannot help. No matter how much I'll want to enjoy the ride, I won't be able to get past all the little details that bug me.

[That moment, there, when he said that and acted out of character. That dialogue, then, when she told him that and what the hell, really]

It makes sense, actually : serve me archetypes and I will expect them to follow the implied guidelines. Yet if the characters don't shy away from complexity but on the contrary, if I end considering them as human beings, their flaws won't have the same impact : instead of infuriating me, they'll make them dear to me.

Carly, Ryan - Danny, even - are dear to me.

I won't lie, when I saw many reviews stating that Melina Marchetta fans would love this book, I stayed wary. I mean - Just how many times did I read that catchy line only to be disappointed? But for the first time ever, I stopped while reading and thought yes, this is it. There's no magic trick, though. Indeed that feeling doesn't come from the settings or even the issues dealt with, but with a simple while multifaceted truth, named Jonah, Taylor, Thomas, Ryan, Carly, Francesca....

These raw, multi-layered and messed-up characters grab you, remind you of random anecdotes from your past (also that cupboard there? Don't open it), drive you to call your mum because really, it's been a while, tear up but NO YOU DON'T FREAKING KNOW WHY SO WHO CARES THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SURF, you're having a moment there and -

"Shame isn't a quiet grey cloud, shame is a drowning man who claws his way on top of you, scratching and tearing your skin, pushing you under the surface."

ARGGGGG. I'll come back to review this book later. I sure cannot now. In the meantime, please give Raw Blue a chance, because its beautiful writing and its real emotions won't disappoint you. I'm sure many reviewers explained why way better than me, so go read their reviews, okay? At this point, I'm not sure I can talk about it more without shattering into pieces. Sorry about that.

TRIGGER WARNING : (view spoiler)

For more of my reviews, please visit:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.

message 1: by P (new)

P multi-layered !!! I love multi-layered characters, Alienor :)

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne This is already a lovely review, Anna! I love realistic fiction too because it's almost always the most relatable and grounding experience :))

s a a n c h i Yay! So happy you loved it! :* <3

Marla Mei I loved this book too. <3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ P.Z. wrote: "multi-layered !!! I love multi-layered characters, Alienor :)"

Aw, you'd love this book then :)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Anne wrote: "This is already a lovely review, Anna! I love realistic fiction too because it's almost always the most relatable and grounding experience :))"

Ah, you are way too nice with me <3 But I agree, I can't read it all the time but it's special to me.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Marla Mei wrote: "I loved this book too. <3"

s a a n c h i (ReadingUnderTheSun) wrote: "Yay! So happy you loved it! :* <3"

God, Ryan!! LOVED LOVED LOVED him so so hard. They moved me, you know?

s a a n c h i Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Marla Mei wrote: "I loved this book too.

s a a n c h i (ReadingUnderTheSun) wrote: "Yay! So happy you loved it! :*

God, Ryan!! LOVED LOVED LOVED him so so hard. They moved me, you know?"

Yesss! I still remember everything from this book so clearly! RYAN IS ABSO-fucking-LUTELY GOALS !!! That scene where Ryan takes Carly's palm and says that he'll get the tattoo of its impression... I nearly melted <3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ s a a n c h i (ReadingUnderTheSun) wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Marla Mei wrote: "I loved this book too.

s a a n c h i (ReadingUnderTheSun) wrote: "Yay! So happy you loved it! :*

God, Ryan!! LOVED LOV..."

YES! And his messages! Aw, I loved them <33

s a a n c h i Oh my god! They were just so... I can't describe it. He was so awkward lol! And caring. "It's Ryan " Aw. <3

message 11: by Anya (new)

Anya Adding it to my tbr. I love Melina Marchetta and the opening quote blew me away. Thank you for the lovely review, Alienor. <3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ s a a n c h i (ReadingUnderTheSun) wrote: "Oh my god! They were just so... I can't describe it. He was so awkward lol! And caring. "It's Ryan " Aw. <3"

"..... but you already know this" awww <33

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Anya wrote: "Adding it to my tbr. I love Melina Marchetta and the opening quote blew me away. Thank you for the lovely review, Alienor. <3"

YAY!! It's really the first time where I feel something approaching what I feel when reading Marchetta. I hope you'll enjoy it! Thank you!

message 14: by Hershey (new) - added it

Hershey That opening quote! WHOA! This needs to be on my tbr!

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin Michael Great review :)

message 16: by destini mia (new)

destini mia I'll definitely keep this one in mind when I need something emotional :D wonderful review, Anna!!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Hershey wrote: "That opening quote! WHOA! This needs to be on my tbr!"

RIGHT?! I was blown away by the writing - not purple prose at all, but some sentences are just SO beautiful <3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Karin wrote: "Great review :)"

Thank you Karin!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie wrote: "I'll definitely keep this one in mind when I need something emotional :D wonderful review, Anna!!"

Thank you Mia! The book deserves a longer review but... I couldn't, and still can't. Perhaps someday if (when!) I reread it.

message 20: by Lucila (new)

Lucila ✨ not your feisty Latina ✨ Awesome review!
You made me want to read this book :)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lucila wrote: "Awesome review!
You made me want to read this book :)"

Thank you!!! I hope you'll enjoy it :D

Milica I feel like I own this book a re-read. I loved Carly and Ryan's relationship, but all those surfing terms totally put me off. I'm Jon Snow on that subject. :/

Great review, tho. I'm glad you liked it! :)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Milica wrote: "I feel like I own this book a re-read. I loved Carly and Ryan's relationship, but all those surfing terms totally put me off. I'm Jon Snow on that subject. :/

Great review, tho. I'm glad you liked..."

Hahaha, I'm Jon Snow too >.< I think that the characters won me all the same, and the story touched me so much that I overlooked it. Thank you!!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ I need to read this. End of story. Great review, my dear Banana...♥

Off to catch up on your fifty other reviews *Grumbles while walking off*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) wrote: "I need to read this. End of story. Great review, my dear Banana...♥

Off to catch up on your fifty other reviews *Grumbles while walking off*"

LMAO xD Awww RYAN!! I freaking loved that guy.

message 26: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Chiriac Suciu I can't find this book on kindle. I would really like to read it

Ana Great review Anna. Sadly this just didn't work for me.