Bil's Reviews > Windwitch

Windwitch by Susan Dennard

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, young-adult, favorites
Recommended for: Witchlanders, Elemental book readers
Read 2 times. Last read January 10, 2017 to January 13, 2017.

A three and a half to four stars to a great sequel. Windwitch took me to an eventful trip back to the Witchlands. As Alexandra Bracken has said, this is a world that I would want to inhabit forever.

This novel jumps back in where the first book ended if not a bit farther into the future. All four main characters: Safi, Iseult, Merik, and Aeduan, are separated creating a multi-perspective narration for the readers with one more character added. As the subplot for each character progressed, I dived in further to the realm crafted by Susan Dennard. I am introduced to more characters with great diversity. The world-building gets thicker and makes the narrative more vivid.

The storyline might seem confusing at first because of the many point-of-views but it gets seamlessly woven chapter after chapter. Every ending of a chapter presents a connection to the next character's standpoint. In result, the narrative maintained an increasing pace but only slowed down in Merik's part which is understandable because this is his book. Dennard's writing laid out foundations to the world-building that are somehow not that stable yet. The diversity of characters is well-thought out and the prose seemed to cross the line between young adult and adult fantasy.

Not only did I explore further into the Witchlands but I also went deeper into each of the characters' own journeys. I saw good character development from each witch, save maybe Safi. The central theme of friendship is still there but the subject of family is what struck me, specifically the Nihar siblings. I enjoyed Iseult and Aeduan's chapters most since they were more thrilling compared to Safi's or Merik's. The problem is that it was Merik's book and he should have stood out the most. I was not entirely convinced on his growth, not until the latter half of the book.

Truthwitch was one of the very first fantasy books that I have read since I started being serious about my reading game last year and I completely loved it! Overall, this was a good follow-up and I cannot wait to read Aeduan's book next!

*Audiobook edition review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Windwitch.

Quotes Bil Liked

Susan Dennard
“There were advantages to being a dead man.”

Susan Dennard
“Nothing negated beauty faster than boredom.”

Susan Dennard
“Stasis, Iseult det Midenzi told herself for the thousandth time since dawn. Stasis in your fingers and in your toes.”

Susan Dennard
“Why do you hold a razor in one hand?
So men remember that I am sharp as any edge.
And why do you hold broken glass in the other?
So men remember that I am always watching.”

Susan Dennard
“The Airwitch had gone from reading nothing in his life to never stopping, buying every novel or history book he could get his hands on.”

Susan Dennard
“Oh, I know!" Safi clapped her hands, delighted by her own genius. "I shall call you Un-empressed."
"Please," Vaness said coldly, "stop this immediately."
Safi absolutely did not.”

Susan Dennard
Mhe varujta. Trust me as if my soul were yours.”

Susan Dennard
“And do all Hell-Bards waddle like a duck, or is it just you?”

Susan Dennard
“There are degrees of freedom. Complete freedom isn't always good, nor is the lack of it always bad.”

Susan Dennard
“I told you, Hell-Bard. Everyone lies. It's in the way we banter with our friends. It's in the mundane greetings we give passersby. It's in the most meaningless things we do every single moment of every single day. Hundreds upon thousands of tiny, inconsequential lies.”

Fool brother Filip led blind brother Daret
deep into the black cave.
He knew that inside it, the Queen Crab resided
but that didn’t scare him away.

Said blind brother Daret to fool brother Filip,
does Queen Crab no longer reign?
I have heard she is vicious, and likes to eat fishes.
It’s best we avoid her domain.

Answered fool Filip to his brother small,
have I not always kept you safe?
I know what I’m doing, for I’m older than you,
and I’ll never lead you astray.

Susan Dennard
Sitting still is a quick path to madness, she reminded herself—as if this might explain the trembling.”

Susan Dennard
The holiest always have the farthest to fall.

Susan Dennard
“Stop seeing what you want to see, Merik Nihar, and start seeing what's really here!”

Susan Dennard
Dead grass is awakened by fire,
dead earth is awakened by rain.
One life will give way to another,
the cycle will begin again.

Run, my child, run.
tags: aeduan

Susan Dennard
“Simply because I have lost faith in the cause doesn't mean the training has lost all of its usefulness.”
tags: aeduan

Susan Dennard
“It is always easier to blame gods or legends than it is to face our own mistakes.”

Susan Dennard
“She was broken. She was useless. She was the pointless half of a friendship. The one who would live forever in shadows, no matter what she did. No matter whom she fought.”

Susan Dennard
“Aeduan bundled her up and stood. She was so light, so fragile. A bird in his demon arms.”

April 29, 2016 – Shelved
page 136
January 12, 2017 –
page 271
January 13, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
January 13, 2017 – Shelved (Audio CD Edition)
January 13, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy (Audio CD Edition)
January 13, 2017 – Shelved as: fiction (Audio CD Edition)
January 13, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult (Audio CD Edition)
January 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 14, 2017 – Started Reading (Audio CD Edition)
January 15, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites (Audio CD Edition)
January 15, 2017 – Finished Reading (Audio CD Edition)