Jeff's Reviews > Washington's Monument: And the Fascinating History of the Obelisk

Washington's Monument by John Steele Gordon

bookshelves: us-history-other, read-in-2018, world-history-other

Expecting a history of a specific obelisk, I found this short book packed with stories of several others as well, traced to their ancient Egyptian origins and followed through their relocations in Europe and America. Also included was an abundance of trivial facts in the footnotes (what did the death of John Quincy Adams have to do with the Washington Monument!?), which I must admit I absolutely loved. While the naval, mechanical, and architectural terms were sometimes out of my grasp, this was written plainly enough to understand what was happening and how it was happening. Gordon reveals the magnitude of the incredible feats accomplished in the making and erecting of these monuments millennia ago, moving them in the nineteenth century, and the equally difficult challenge of getting assistance for Washington's Monument from a burdened and weary Congress.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Washington's Monument.

April 29, 2016 – Shelved
April 29, 2016 – Shelved as: us-history-other
April 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 10, 2018 – Started Reading
January 11, 2018 –
page 55
24.55% "At what point was it a red flag that it was taking Congress so long to fund the monument? 10 years? 20?"
January 12, 2018 –
page 102
45.54% "That the monument to Washington, who abhorred factions (parties), was itself delayed and tarnished by partisanship, is disgraceful. Such is our nation's capital and the nature of politics."
January 13, 2018 –
page 160
71.43% "Finally, a monument."
January 14, 2018 –
page 215
95.98% "[Finished the text.] Nobody will be moving Washinton's obelisk in one piece!"
January 14, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018