Brittany's Reviews > The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Apr 28, 2016

bookshelves: 2016-challenge, 5-stars, fiction, horror, mystery, reviews, thriller

Check out my blog to see Reviews of Book and Movies, and check out some Recipes!

The Girl on the Train starts out in a painful rendition of the mind of a blackout alcoholic. I can't say that this first section of the book is easy or enjoyable to read, but I must commend Paula Hawkins or her chilling rendition of the realities of the disease known as Alcoholism.

Once Rachel is established, you travel through the minds of 2 other women to get a more complete telling of the story. This psychological thriller is chilling in it's regard to human emotion and mentality.

It will keep you guessing and hoping for and against certain information to be exposed or outcomes to be revealed. This is a book the exposes aspects of sociopathic and psychopathic tendencies. It does such a good job that I was personally affected due to experiences with both in my own life. It was very chilling to say the least to see how something can so easily spin out of control in life.

Amazing job creating this environment to make the reader feel such, and makes me highly suspicious that she has experienced many of these personalities in person. 5 Stars fro a brilliant creation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl on the Train.

April 28, 2016 – Shelved
May 11, 2016 – Started Reading
May 11, 2016 –
page 162
50.15% "Lots of craziness, I wouldn't say it's fun to read, but the author did a really good job of describing the madness of the mind"
May 12, 2016 –
page 196
60.68% "I just had to stop and express my hatred of Kamal at this point. If he sold that tabloid story than I hope Rachel kills him haha"
May 12, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ev Skiles Agreed. It was chilling, and I kept hoping Megan's fate would be better. Strongly reminiscent of Gone Girl, with the characters telling lie after lie. I could relate with Megan's anxiety..I have it, too.

Brittany Ev wrote: "Agreed. It was chilling, and I kept hoping Megan's fate would be better. Strongly reminiscent of Gone Girl, with the characters telling lie after lie. I could relate with Megan's anxiety..I have it..."

I agree with the analogy, although I liked this one more than Gone Girl, this one made me feels emotions other than Anger haha

message 3: by Ev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ev Skiles Yes, all I felt reading Gone Girl was hate and revulsion. At least with this novel, I could sympathize with some of the characters. Great review!

Brittany Thank you :)