Sally ☀️'s Reviews > Shadowheart

Shadowheart by Laura Kinsale

9751932

bookshelves: historical-romance, ebook, read-2016

Although I'm giving Shadowheart the same rating as For My Lady's Heart, I much preferred it. It's probably more of a 4.5 and FMLH is more of a 3.5.

This was much easier to read than FMLH. I don't know whether that was because the language seemed to have changed, there wasn't nearly as much medieval speech, or whether the story got going much quicker, or perhaps both. I haven't read the condensed version at the end but I assumed that the condensed versions were the same books but with more modern language so I wasn't quite sure whether that was needed in this case.

There was a scene towards the beginning of Allegretto and Elena's relationship that did make me a little uncomfortable - I'm not sure if it was intended as rape or not. I'm leaning towards 'yes, it was' and I'm not really here for that. But maybe I'd change my mind on a re-read. I have the audiobook so I probably will listen to that at some point.

Allegretto is a complicated character and I love my dark, twisted, tortured and complicated heroes. He was raised to be an assassin, he's been killing since before the age of nine, and he's bloody good at it. He hates that he made to be who he is, but he never tries to change that and I don't think he really wants to. He knows that he'll be going to hell when he dies and is determined to put that off for as long as possible. It's strange (but in a good way) to read about a hero that doesn't have a heart (and I know in a lot of HR a hero will go on about how he's heartless and that gets dropped pretty soon but this is different). He says his father cut it out when he was young and kept it for his convenience (or something like that, I don't have the exact quote).

Elena is not one of my favourite heroines but I did enjoy that she was a strong character. She did the best to take control of the situations she found herself in, she made tough decisions that didn't really make her happy for the good of her people, she didn't let herself be walked all over.

The plot did drag in places towards the end and there were times when I thought it was coming to end only to realise that it wasn't and that something else was going to happen but overall another great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowheart.

April 28, 2016 – Shelved