SOS Aloha's Reviews > Sweet Revenge

Sweet Revenge by Andrea Penrose

Apr 20, 2011

Read in April, 2011

No chocolate lover can forget Forrest Gump’s memorable observation at the bus stop, “Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get.” Gump’s quote is an apt tag line for Andrea Penrose’s debut mystery, Sweet Revenge, as it offers the wide variety of a Whitman’s sampler – mystery, adventure, romance, history, humor, and chocolate recipes.

And like the unknown fillings underneath the chocolate shell, Andrea’s characters reveal a certain sweetness of their personalities to which the reader can relate – an independent woman seeking revenge for a beloved father; a war hero whose aristocratic nature only hides his tender heart; and secondary players who add humor and suspense to the mystery plot.

Andrea Penrose draws upon the skills of her alter ego Cara Elliott to deliver the essential elements of the Regency era – the happy go lucky Prince Regent, the social climbing ton, and the glamour of London’s ballrooms. Yet Andrea builds upon this Regency world to create an intriguing adventure through a murder mystery just as a master chocolatier would add fruit, nuts, and cream to an already delicious chocolate treat. Sweet Revenge is the start of a series so readers have the satisfaction of seeing Lady Arianna again along with the enticing chocolate recopies featured in the book.

In writing this review, I looked up another chocolate quotes. From Deanna Troi of Star Trek: The Next Generation, “I never met a chocolate I didn't like." I would say the same about any book from Andrea Pickens/Cara Elliott/Andrea Penrose – a satisfying surprise inside the perfected shell from the Regency World.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Revenge.

11/20/2017 marked as: read