Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Sula

Sula by Toni Morrison

I decided that I would give Toni Morrison another chance after reading Beloved. Looking back (and after reading another of Morrison’s books), Beloved probably wasn’t the best introduction to Morrison.

I actually liked Sula a lot. I’m pretty impressed with Morrison’s writing- there really is beautiful imagery, and I feel like I’m experiencing what the character’s are going through.

I’m still not sure of how the character of Shadrack fits in, other than he’s just a really odd man who lives in Medallion. I also didn’t get the whole thing about the deweys, who were 3 boys that were taken in by Eva, who is Sula’s grandmother. I honestly don’t get why they were so important, and I kept thinking they were Sula’s uncles, even though they really weren’t.

I liked how Morrison divided up the chapters- each chapter was a different year in the lives of the characters. I found the gaps interesting, and it made me wonder what had happened as time moved foward. I also liked seeing the characters develop over a span of about 40 years.

It gets a 3.5 out of 5. While I liked it a lot better than Beloved, it didn’t capture my attention in any way. It felt like something was missing, and it’s driving me crazy that I don’t know what it is!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sula.