Tiara's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, book-turned-media-and-vice-versa

I started reading this for the same reason that many other people read this book for—I liked the show. I’m not much of a fantasy reader, but not because I dislike the genre. It’s hardly my least favorite genre to read in. I’m just more of a science fiction woman than a fantasy woman. You can blame that on a healthy, if not obsessive, love of comics and cyberpunk.

This book isn’t one that I would call high fantasy. There aren’t many elves, magic, and all that. There are hints of magic and fantastic elements of course. But mostly, this book is written about men and women who find themselves in precarious situations because they’re humans making human mistakes and not because of some magical interference, which I appreciated.

There also doesn’t seem to be any real “heroes” in this book. Oh, there are characters I love, and characters that I hate. But they’re all multifaceted and have flaws as if they were real people. They make mistakes. They doubt themselves, and sometimes, their decisions ultimately lead to a bad end. No one is completely white or completely black—even the characters that many despise.
Take Cersei, a woman who many people dislike as a character. Think about how she asked Ned if he loved his children and if he’d be willing to do anything for them. When he says he would, she basically tells him what makes her any different. She would do the same thing for her own. Sure, her means were messed up, but the logic behind it is not.

There are no pillar of virtues who can do no wrong and show that being honorable and virtuous is what will win over the bad guys in the end. Things like loyalty and honor don’t protect the characters from the evils of men. While Ned isn’t a complete pillar of virtue, he’s probably the most honorable character in the book to a fault, and we see where that got him.
And it’s things like that that made me like the book. It shows depth of character. No one is always what they seem, and don’t think that being a so-called “good” character means that nothing bad will ever to them.

The book made it a lot easier for me to keep up with characters than the show, and maybe this is because it was fleshed out and since I had an idea of who the characters were because of the show, the details presented in the book made it easier for me to make connections and remember them. And this book was written in an engaging, relaxed way that made it easy to follow along and get into.

Now, I will admit that I started getting twitchy toward the end and felt as if some POVs could’ve been omitted because it just started to get plain redundant, but over all I enjoyed the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Tiara Liked

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

April 20, 2011 – Shelved
August 29, 2011 – Started Reading
page 23
2.75% "Just starting. We'll see how it goes."
page 33
3.95% "I think I already kinda love Jon Snow, but I knew that would probably be the case if he was anything like he is on the show."
page 67
8.02% "“Let me give you some counsel, bastard,” Lannister said. “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”"
page 100
11.98% "Free night. Hoping that I get to catch up on this a bit today, but I do have a long weekend ahead of me."
page 200
23.95% ""Let them see that their words can cut you, and you'll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can't hurt you with it anymore.""
page 209
25.03% "Now, it's time for bed. More reading tomorrow."
September 6, 2011 –
page 260
31.14% "Got a little stalled on this one with the long weekend and activities, but getting back on track."
September 6, 2011 –
page 267
31.98% "Tyrion and Jon Snow are shaping up to be two of my favorite characters, but that's as expected since they're my two favs on the show. I'm biased."
September 7, 2011 –
page 337
40.36% "I can't believe how incredibly STUPID Ned and Catelyn are, especially Ned. I just feel like banging my head against my Nook reading Ned's parts."
September 8, 2011 –
page 384
45.99% "I want to read more of this tonight, but I think it's pissing me off too much to that. All I keep wanting to say to the characters is: "What the fuck is wrong with you?""
September 9, 2011 –
page 416
49.82% "I am sure a Game of Thrones marathon is going to come of this after I'm done, and I'll look at it all from a new perspective."
September 12, 2011 –
page 501
60.0% "Sansa makes me want to vomit."
September 12, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 12, 2011 –
page 609
72.93% "I love how the person who basically started this whole thing is trying to give advice to her son like she had nothing to do with how they got there. What a heifer."
September 12, 2011 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2016 – Shelved as: book-turned-media-and-vice-versa

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Melissa I remember thinking "this is when he figures it out." and then going "womp womp"

Tiara I know right! He's so ridiculous thinking honor will make men honest, that no one would do these things because that would be treachery. I wanted to know what universe his mind lived it because he obviously didn't know what was going on in reality.

Camille Poor stupid Ned... I've only read 40% thus far, but can remember at least 4 different people calling Ned stupid/foolish/navie or something of the sort... I guess I should have realized that was foreshadowing.

Tiara Camille wrote: "Poor stupid Ned... I've only read 40% thus far, but can remember at least 4 different people calling Ned stupid/foolish/navie or something of the sort... I guess I should have realized that was for..."

What really gets me right now is that he had the nerve to ask Littlefinger if he thought he (Ned) was a fool. Of course Littlefinger said yes. Uh... what the hell is wrong with you, Ned? How many ways can someone say they think you're an idiot?

I hope I didn't spoil that for you. I just passed it and we seem to around the same page roughly, so maybe you've already read it.

Camille Yes! I do remember that part... even Varys called him foolish. I had such high hopes for Ned... but no worries, I did watch the TV series so I generally know what happens in the book. And yes we are around the same pages, I look forward to your status updates as we continue.