Noelle's Reviews > Sorta Like a Rock Star

Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick

Apr 20, 2011

bookshelves: ugly-cried

Irrepressible hope and relentless optimism are amazing and impressive...and you know what else? Extremely annoying. Yes, dear readers, I was one of those people giving Amber Appleton the side-eye for the entire first half of the book.

Sure, I empathized with her horrible situation and admired the spunk in her survival skills but I still resisted the crap out of her charm. I found her hugging obsession creepy. Her “JC” name dropping made me itch. Her slang felt unnaturally shoehorned into her otherwise SAT-word laden inner dialogue. Her group of “special” school friends felt just too precious to be real. And for goodness sake, did she have to give everything five word nicknames just to use the acronym for it?! Amber would do something promising and then follow it up with something that made me cringe.

Yet I stuck around for a couple reasons, the main one being Amber is not portrayed as trying to be perfect. She gets offended and swears and lashes out. Amidst all the “up with people!” moments there were also glimpses of a teenager I could recognize--an angry, unappreciated, emotional adolescent that I found extremely easy to root for. I think my opinion of Amber permanently turned around after her interactions with the Korean Divas for Christ, Private Jackson and even Joanie of Old (see what I mean about nicknames?). For all of her inappropriate methods and pushiness, Amber has such a good heart. Even though at times her world must seem so small, Amber never sees it that way. Her hope makes it endless. Amber not only recognizes the loneliness around her, she is genuinely interested in these people’s lives. She sees what makes them who they are and without making a big deal about it, celebrates it every day. She will shine her floodlight of hope on anyone who gives her the chance.

She really, truly is sorta like a rock star.

And then Amber’s already extremely shitty life gets horribly worse and Amber's belief system is shaken to the core. (view spoiler) I realized that I too had been just one more person underestimating Amber’s value and how much I’d grown to depend on her enthusiasm and optimism.

Yes, there is a definite cheesiness factor here between the After School Specialness of the Five and the nature of the ending, but dammit if I didn't soak it all up like a freaking hopeful sponge. You won this one, Amber Appleton.

Also, the haikus--the last two in particular--were, as Amber would say, some good hooey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorta Like a Rock Star.

April 20, 2011 – Shelved
September 21, 2011 –
page 276
77.75% ""
September 21, 2011 – Finished Reading

Danielle I just want to say that your review is pretty much exactly how I feel about this book, animated gif included. I'm totally following your reviews now, in hopes that you will be a compass in my future reading choices (and with a to-read list at 160+, i am always in need of a compass.)

Noelle Thanks Danielle! I was so wary of Amber at first but I'm so glad she proved me wrong.

message 3: by kiley (new) - added it

kiley I cannot stop watching this gif. its distracting me from reading your review but I cannot stop.

Noelle Haha, I just stared at it for like 15 seconds straight after reading this comment, kiley :)