Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*'s Reviews > Until You

Until You by Penelope Douglas

4 beautiful-mess Stars

While I appreciate the sentiment of the above statement, I also know it to be complete garbage, sometimes. It can cost, a whole hell of a lot, to be kind. Cruelty can be far easier than kindness, especially when it is what has left the most impact on your life. I’m certainly not saying it’s the wise course, but it is a slippery slope that is A LOT easier to fall down than it’s made to seem.

In no way am I condoning Jarod’s behaviour by these remarks. What he did was deplorable! However, under the microscope of the written word and the history of his character, it is understandable. And that is the scary thing about this book for me, probably for a lot of people actually. I am NOT comfortable sympathizing with him as a character.

I was tormented pretty badly during school; I was chased with knives, teased to the point of tears, bitten, clawed and asked out by a boy on a bet. My school years are not the times I look back on and reminisce. I look back on them as something I survived. It would be dishonest of me to say that I never lashed out at others for being tormented, I did. However, I caught myself on that edge and fought my way back to the kind of person I wanted to be. A kind one. Because while I disagree that it doesn’t cost anything to be kind, I DO agree that it is the stronger choice. To face down cruelty with kindness as my only weapon is one of the most foolish endeavours I have ever taken, however, in choosing that I also chose to not allow others to dictate who I would be. I stand by my choice.

Jarod went the other route, and I can’t really blame him for that. Being bullied at home is AWFUL! Lashing out is such a viable choice, and lashing out at those you love is even more likely.

I’m surprised to say that I liked Jarod’s POV in Until You more than I liked Tate’s in Bully. While they take place over the same time frame, for the most part, I found the insight into Jarod’s behaviour both beautiful and disastrous. I’m still curious about the redemption questions I asked when reviewing Bully… however I like the story itself. Even if I find the romantic element rather unbelievable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until You.

April 27, 2016 – Started Reading
April 27, 2016 – Shelved
April 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 27, 2016 – Shelved as: for-science
April 28, 2016 –
page 314
77.34% "She had a future, and mine was questionable.\n But I looked over at Tate, who immediately glanced up at me across the fire, and it was like trying to walk away from the water you knew you needed to live. \n There was no choice but to drink.\n \n "
April 28, 2016 –
page 345
84.98% "And that's when I saw it. \n The end. \n The death in her eyes. The absence of emotion."
April 28, 2016 – Shelved as: cover-lust
April 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2016 – Shelved as: all-for-love
March 29, 2017 – Shelved as: friskie-mittens-in-public

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books Boo, you'll end up hating Tate by the end. Keep going. Amazing review!!!

message 4: by Aileene (new)

Aileene Super review, Blossom.

Chased with knives? Really? Want me to suit up and b*tch slap those unworthy souls?

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ I liked his POV more too! Great review, Karly! <3

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Love you long time missy:)
heartheartheart

message 7: by P (new)

P Great review, Karly :)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* @Six: thank you!! Yes, chased with knives! I will table the suiting up and bitch-slapping but thank you for the offer.

@Lana: Thank you, dear <3. I was surprised by it, but I think I liked it better, in part, because (view spoiler)

@Jess: Love you long time too, beauty!! <3

@P.Z. Thank you so much :D

message 9: by Colin (last edited May 03, 2016 03:53PM) (new)

Colin I'm sorry to hear about your school years lvn. that's crazy. fortunately it made you in to a great person! ...well OK person (spiders)

message 11: by karen (new)

karen in CANADA???

message 13: by Colin (new)

Colin Lvn where should I go while I'm in Vancouver?

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Oh crap.... I forgot to think about that!!! *will actually think, this time*

message 15: by Colin (new)

Colin no worries. just nowhere with knives

Andreea Burton When I hear about situations like yours I always wonder if anybody around you did anything. Like I 100% agree with your review and I also liked Jared's POV better than Tate's. It just always shocks me how people can just stand by and do nothing, people's lack of empathy and the most shocking is when they join in on the cruelty. I don't know if my school was truly pretty pleasant for the most part or if horrible things happened there without me knowing. But either way it's disturbing to me how needlessly cruel people can be for various reasons. And I think why you connected with Jared unexpectedly and admittedly against your will is because you saw what you could have been. You could have turned to the dark side and abused others the same way you had been abused but you chose not to. You didn't make excuses for yourself and you dealt with what happened to you and chose to be different and be better. And that is eventually what Jared did. Unfortunately he made some major wrong turns and took quite a long time to find his way back. But he did. And he was ashamed about his previous actions but took responsibility and stopped trying to justify his actions and make excuses and faced everything head on. And that is why I absolutely loved this book and I loved the ending. I know some people might think that certain parts are cheesy and unrealistic but to me all of those parts are RARE but possible. Believing that there are real people out there and believing that I might be lucky enough to find one for myself makes everyday worth living. It's why I love Rom-Coms and especially much more realistic ones like this. I love that they face real struggles and fight and try and understand each other and build a strong relationship because of it. So, I love that you shared your story with us and I love that you connected with Jared's character because I think that it can remind you of how amazing and strong you are because you chose to break the pattern of abuse. And I believe that breaking any negative pattern is one of the hardest things you can ever do in your life. <3