Dannii Elle's Reviews > The Last Days of Night

The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore

bookshelves: historical-highness

I received this book on a read to review basis from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, Graham Moore, and the publisher, Random House, for this opportunity.

I have never had the pleasure of previously reading anything by Graham Moore but he is an author I can already say I want to devour every published word from! His writing has a beautiful and lyrical quality to it that just took my breath away: his writing is incandescent in its delicacy and grace. He doesn't write a story to be read, he writes a story to be lived. His descriptions of people and places had me vividly re-imagining each scene in my mind and, what stunned me the most was that, he was able to do so in just a sentence or two: there wasn't a superfluous word to be found in this novel. If you are interested in studying good writing, regardless of your affinity towards this story or genre, then I would wholeheartedly recommend this book.

Now that I have that gushing out of my system, I can continue...

This is a historical tale set in the dawn of the electric light bulb. Our protagonist, Paul Cravath , is lawyer to George Westinghouse's company, who are one of Thomas Edison's numerous combatants. Paul is attempting to rescue his client from the 312 court cases that Edison has attempted to throw at Westinghouse in their rival race to be the sole contributor of lighting the whole of America with their new technological advancements.

The portrayal of America during this historical period were apt, in regards to the the cultural and societal restraints placed upon the characters. It was interesting seeing something we take for granted be revered or feared by members of the public and to see the passions, energy and genius exuded by the pioneering scientists of the time. It was also electrifying (see what I did there?!) to see famed historical figures displayed as something more than the two-dimensional accounts examined in history books. Moore has made them come to life and giving them distinct personalities and voices.

Whilst not something I have much knowledge or interest of, this manages to give a factual account of the period and the science whilst managing to not become a dry and dense historical account. This is a well executed example of a treading the fine line between fiction and non-fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Days of Night.

April 27, 2016 – Shelved
April 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 22, 2016 – Started Reading
May 22, 2016 –
2.0% ""Even a true story is a fiction, Paul knew. It is the comforting tool we use to organize the chaotic world aound us into something comprehensible."\n \n Only 2% in and I can already tell that I am going to LOVE this book!"
May 23, 2016 –
May 23, 2016 –
42.0% ""What's the use in being rich if not a soul admires you for it?""
May 23, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-highness