Scott Hitchcock's Reviews > Return of the Crimson Guard

Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian C. Esslemont

bookshelves: grimdark, malazan
Read 2 times. Last read February 16, 2019 to February 26, 2019.

Re-read.

Even more than the first time around the first two parts of this book were informative but a little bit slow and boring. The last part however was perhaps even better on re-read. That last part is the best section of any of the Empire books in my opinion and we see the promise later fulfilled in Path to Ascendancy as ICE grows as a writer.

His brilliant imagery really made a few of the scenes. I found myself comparing him to SE less but I still have to wonder how much better it would have been had SE written this series.

-----------
The first half of this books was mediocre at best and has me wishing SE was telling the tale not ICE. There were a few moments in particular where SE would have had us weeping but ICE left me wanting. It is so hard not to compare the two.

Then the second half of the book there was almost complete redemption. Over 200 pages were an epic convergence to rival SE. There were two head scratching almost anti-climatic moments though (view spoiler) where I thought how can you possible let that happen this way? Overall the second half was a cannot put it down event.

If you've only read Book of the Fallen it is very much worth reading this series as well. You just can't linger on SE vs ICE for too long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return of the Crimson Guard.

April 27, 2016 – Shelved
page 500
February 25, 2019 –
page 632
February 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Yeah I can't believe they killed off two important characters like that and in the SIDE series too. How the hell is Toll the Hounds (haven't read it yet) going to deal with that?

Seán I remember on the first read of the series that I regretted reading this as it really slowed me down. I'm looking forward to picking it up on a re-read though as I definitely feel like I'll appreciate it more.

Scott  Hitchcock Gayle wrote: "Yeah I can't believe they killed off two important characters like that and in the SIDE series too. How the hell is Toll the Hounds (haven't read it yet) going to deal with that?"

I think that's what makes it great. You just never know. Wait until you do read TtH and discover who's next. :)

Scott  Hitchcock Seán wrote: "I remember on the first read of the series that I regretted reading this as it really slowed me down. I'm looking forward to picking it up on a re-read though as I definitely feel like I'll appreci..."

There's so much back information you get for the main series it's definitely worth it. I can't imagine reading Path to Ascendency without having read Empire.