Cindi Page's Reviews > Strong Medicine

Strong Medicine by Angela Meadon

Apr 27, 2016

bookshelves: recent-reads

Strong Medicine explores a crime that stems from a deeply superstitious branch of South Africa's diverse nation: muti killings - and it's a page turning crime- thriller - family- drama of note.

But be warned: Strong Medicine is a very hard to book to read for a mother. If the kidnapping of a child isn't bad enough, add to that the sinister killing for muti and you have every parent out there imagining their worst nightmare.

While the reading was hard to bear emotionally, it could only be that because it is so well written. I have to admit that I did not enjoy enduring the feelings it brought to the surface, but I did appreciate the research and felt wholly educated in a part of my own country's tapestry of traditions as a result. And if I can live in, and learn from, a story, then I'm happy to have read it.

I loved the use the local lingo and the endearing flaws of the characters, they were easy to connect with from the get-go.

I'll definitely be recommending this one to all my crime/thriller junkie bookish friends.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strong Medicine.

April 27, 2016 – Started Reading
April 27, 2016 – Shelved
April 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 4, 2016 –
page 251
54.09% "We live in a country with an alternate universe. What a fascinating but disturbing read so far!"
May 9, 2016 – Shelved as: recent-reads