Dora's Reviews > To the Power of Three

To the Power of Three by Laura Lippman

Apr 19, 2011

it was ok
Read in April, 2011

So many people have recommended Laura Lippman to me that I was extra disappointed that this book didn't wow me.

I thought the writing style odd at times-- even though it's in the 3rd person, the tone would change dramatically depending on which character it was following (gruff cop, ditzy teenager, etc).

The plot trods along dully, when a murder mystery should have an exciting pace... the big reveal at the end left me feeling like "OK, so that's what happened", not "OH SNAP! THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED!" which is what one wants from such a book. Not to mention the nature of the big reveal is lame too.

The best thing about this book was the way it did successfully capture the complexity of relationships between teenage girls-- and particularly the way things get extra complicated when there are three. That was very well done.

Otherwise... yawn. People love her so I will give her another chance, but I'll first figure out which book of hers people think is best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Power of Three.

06/28/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica The only one I've read is What the Dead Know, which I really liked, but I'd recommend getting her latest, I'd Know You Anywhere. She sold a ton more of that one than any one previously, and it got universally great reviews.

Dora OK, that's the one everyone recommends (what the dead...) and I will have to check out the new one too!

thanks so much! this one was really not great, but I'm definitely giving her another chance.

Amberlori I totally agree. The Big Reveal was like "Oh, ok, that's pretty boring". I was not impressed. My first Laura Lippman novel as well, may be my last.

message 4: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan I really like her Tessa Monaghan books. I don't enjoy her stand alone books as much. to the power of three is probably my least favorite. try some Tess books!

Karen Squires I'm 240 pages in an waiting for it to get exciting.
It's not often I ditch a book but geez I'm close...