Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > Heir to the Sky

Heir to the Sky by Amanda Sun

Apr 26, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult

I was hoping this book was going to be better than it was but it was okay.

I was so interested in this book because I love Hayao Miyazaki and his movies, one being Castle In The Sky (although my all time favorite is Spirited Away) and I thought maybe this was going to be a cool adventure what with all of these continents being in the sky.

I found the actual continent part very boring. The main character Kali learns of a rebellion and tries to tell her father who is like the King of Ashra, but she gets um... lets just say she falls to the Earth below to keep out the spoiler.

The Earth isn't supposed to have any humans on it, only monsters. But. There are a lot of things that they were told that are not true. Some really bad things. Kali finds the monsters all right, there are some really weird ones on Earth. I can't even begin to go into some of them, but there are dragons too.

Luckily Kali meets Griffin who is a monster hunter. I mean that's about all you can be down on Earth since there are tons of monsters always trying to eat you! Kali finds out some things that she refuses to believe about her world above. In the end she has to own up to it and tries to help.

I loved the character of Griffin and I thought Kali was a good character after she got out of lala land, or rather fell out of la la land. I liked the side characters of Aliyah and Sayra, they were very kind to Kali and were pretty much monster hunters too. There were other humans here and there in different hide outs as well.

Griffin takes Kali to the mountain to see if one of the sky ships will see her to take her back home. They do and all kinds of stuff hits the fan and people and monsters and what not die.

I think I went into the book with high expectations and got myself let down. I still think it's okay because I love the idea and some of the characters, but there seemed to be something missing.

I really hope many more readers can love this more than me ♥

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heir to the Sky.

April 26, 2016 – Shelved
April 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 29, 2016 – Started Reading
June 29, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 29, 2016 –
page 33
11.26% "This better get better or I'm going to smack something!"
June 29, 2016 –
page 75
June 30, 2016 –
page 159
June 30, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Dunn Great review! I love Miyazaki movies too. Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service are my faves. Sorry this one wasn't a bit better for you.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you hon! OMG! I found another Miyazaki fan :-) I'm going to txt you a picture of my movies. Well not right now, I'm too lazy. I have Kiki, Totoro in blu ray and some of the other in regular dvd still. Of course I got Spirited Away right away when it went to blu ray, gave the dvd to my cousin who hasn't said anything about it! I should have given it to my best friend. Duh! ♥

message 3: by Candace (new)

Candace Great review, Melissa! :)