Helen's Reviews > Wake

Wake by Elizabeth Knox

bookshelves: monsters, reviewed, sci-fi, horror

Inventive, original, dark and disturbing. Wake takes what has become a common story - a small group of people survive while everyone around them dies, and makes something unique out of it.

I don't want to say too much about the plot because I don't want to spoil it, and really you just need to read it yourself, but Wake is a mix of horror, thriller and drama, with a touch of sci-fi added in.

Wake has a cast of 14 characters and a large part of the book is about how they interact, how they work together, and how they cope with what happens. With so many of them, a few of them inevitably get a bit lost and don't feature very much. The action mostly focuses on a core group, these characters are done very well and are believable in the way they act based on their different personalities. I ended up losing track of some of them though and I couldn't keep who was who straight if they weren't in the core few.

Sam was by far my favourite character. I didn't find many of the others likeable, except I did like William, the American, - maybe because he was just honest and open from the start? But Sam was lovely and I think the author did a really good job with her story. Learning about her was my favourite part of the book.

I like the way Elizabeth Knox writes, but I found it more practical and brutal than beautiful or poetic. I know a lot of other reviewers disagree with that though so maybe I just didn't really understand her style? Sometimes I had to re-read a sentence a few times before I understood what was happening.

The world building was brilliant, and the whole thing was very readable, a few times I only meant to read a chapter then realised an hour had passed without me noticing.

My favourite thing about the book is the sci-fi bit. I wish that was developed a bit more but it wouldn't be realistic or fit in with the story so I can forgive it.

The way it ended made me happy. I don't really like when I have to make my own mind up about what is happening in a book, I always feel like what was the point of actually reading the book if I don't find out what's going on. There are enough answers in Wake to satisfy me and I like the way it's revealed slowly with enough pointers that I could try to work it out for myself if I wanted to.

Wake is original and disturbing, and it is a must-read for anyone that likes survivor horror stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.

April 26, 2016 – Shelved