All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Green-Eyed Envy

Apr 19, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

We can try hard not to judge a book by its cover, but even the most noble among us will fail to be completely impartial when they crack a book for the first time. That’s because however much we might try and deny it, the cover of a book makes certain promises even before we know what the book is about, and broken promises tend to disappoint readers, or at least that’s how I feel after finishing GREEN-EYED ENVY.

Based on the cover alone, I was expecting a sexy, gritty urban fantasy with a tough as nails protagonist. The actual book turned out to be something quite different. It read more like Miss Congeniality takes on urban fantasy than anything else. Nothing against Sandra Bullock movies, and given the right mood I can enjoy a lighter, chick-lit paranormal romp every now and then, but that isn’t what I was hoping for here and that is unfortunately what I got.

Riss is a Fury, a mythological creature who punishes supernatural lawbreakers and works as Boston’s chief magical investigator. In GREEN-EYED ENVY, she goes undercover as a wedding planning to catch a supernatural serial killer. Riss herself isn’t the ‘furious’ character I hoped for. I would describe her as spunky and maybe a bit sassy. She does get to show off some paranormal fighting skills in the book, but she didn’t ever strike me as fierce. The scenes with her boyfriend Scott were pretty innocuous too. No romantic tension, and barely any chemistry that I could detect either.

Overall, GREEN-EYED ENVY just isn’t the book I was expecting it to be based on the cover and description. This book is urban fantasy lite with a feisty rather than fierce protagonist in a story worthy of the next Miss Congeniality movie. If you’re in the mood for a less gritty book, this may be for you, but I needed more.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to sex

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green-Eyed Envy.

Kelly I liked this one more than you did--but yeah, it's pretty fluffy.

All Things Urban Fantasy Kelly - I didn't get 'fluffy' from the cover/description at all, so I wasn't at all expecting it.

Kelly *nods* Me neither. The first book was way darker, IIRC, though it had more technical problems.

message 4: by Daelith (new) - added it

Daelith Now I don't know if I should leave this on my wish list or delete it.