Anna Tan's Reviews > Creation

Creation by Greg Chase

Apr 26, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: e-books, review-copy

Sam accidentally creates a new technology-based sentient species whilst trying to repair a derelict spaceship's computer. However, he's been living off the grid in a village on the planet of Chariklo, so he doesn't find out until a decade later when his old friend Lud sends a ship to take him back to Earth to face the music.

Chase spends a good portion of the novel exploring social mores, especially in relation to sex. At a casual glance, it appears that he's trying to promote the fact that if humans were a little more like Bonobo monkeys, where sexual activity is used as a means of forming social bonds, including conflict resolution and post-conflict reconciliation, then the world would be a better place. I don't know if that really is his point, but it's a pretty big digression if it isn't. (Okay, maybe this is a big factor as to why I couldn't get into the book... I just found his theories a little too weird.)

There's another whole chunk of tedium to do with black holes and the big bang, energy and matter, which makes me come back to my earlier conclusion that I'm really not a die-hard sci-fi fan. I shall be veering myself back into space opera territory from now on, instead of this metaphysical/hard science/cyberpunk stuff.

Because you know, I just want to read about fantastical other planets and aliens, political dynasties, family issues and people falling impossibly in love, which this book is a little short of.

*Note: I downloaded a free ARC of this book for review via Instafreebie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creation.

April 26, 2016 – Shelved