Heather's Reviews > In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales

In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy T... by David Lubar

Feb 23, 2008

bookshelves: children, read-aloud, fantasy, humorous, scary, favorite-authors, favorite-books, favorites
Recommended to Heather by: self
Recommended for: children in grades 3-6
Read in January, 2008

I saw this book on a shelf at school and had to grab it just because of the title. Lawn weenies?!

This is a book of short stories for children. They are creepy and rather "Twilight Zone"-like. The first two kind of made me wonder what I'd picked up to read because they were creepy and I thought that little children everywhere would be creeped out. After reading a few of them, I started to see a pattern and the humor in them. A child might feel the same way, creeped out at first, and then feel high interest in the other stories.

Some of the stories have good foreshadowing and would make for a good lesson in class. After reading the whole book, students should be able to analyze the way the stories are set up and even write their own creepy tale.

One story that sticks in my mind is that of a couple of boys, doing what boys do and lurking around an abandoned creepy house. They go downstairs to the cellar only to find a wooden box. As they are looking at it, the lights go out and the box opens. Guess what's inside! A vampire. The vampire tries to bite the boys, but they get away safely. Or do they? As one boy is walking along in his leather jacket, the jacket tries to bite him. It's been turned into a vampire jacket! The boy escapes just in time, and the jacket runs off into the woods. One is left wondering what will happen. Will it come back?

Update: The kids loved!!! this book! We read it with the lights off, and they begged me to keep reading and reading. One girl was creeped out and went into the hall to read by herself every day. One out of 24 isn't too bad! The above story is still my favorite. Some of the stories aren't scary, but funny. The "Lawn Weenies" story was very disappointing, as it is nothing like the cover - not one dang weenie in the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales.

07/26/2017 marked as: read