tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > The New German Cinema

The New German Cinema by John  Sandford

bookshelves: film

I'm sure I've read this, I don't remember it. Don't you hate 'reviews' that start out this way? I give it 4 stars b/c German cinema of the 30 yrs covered by this bk is such an incredible time politically & dramatically. The one thing I DO remember from reading this (I'm now realizing) is how funding was finding its way into these director's hands thru München TV. It probably wasn't much by most people's standards but it was enuf to ensure that some of the most amazing movies were made: Volker Schlöndorff's "The Tin Drum" (a controvery surrounding wch I've written a substantial article about elsewhere) - who may not've been München TV funded (I don't recall), Werner Herzog's "Aguirre", Rainer Werner Fassbinder's "The Third Generation", Hans Jürgen Syberberg.., etc.. If I were to run across any other bks on the subject I'd probably pick them up. In the meantime, if you're interested in the subject, this one will certainly do!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New German Cinema.