Bonnie's Reviews > Old Wounds

Old Wounds by N.K. Smith

1208448

bookshelves: 2011

When I first started reading Old Wounds the first thing that struck me was how raw and strong Sophie’s language and behavior were. Normally that would really turn me off a book – or a character – but as I kept reading I came to appreciate the rawness of Sophie's character and felt it added to her authenticity. After I thought about it I couldn’t really imagine a 17-year-old girl who had been through what Sophie had been through acting much differently.

As far as characters go, I couldn’t have asked for more when it came to Sophie and Elliott. I found their relationship to be so strange and wonderful at the same time. I really became invested in their stories, their pain and hope for their futures. I loved how Smith chose to write their stories and I think it really helped the reader to feel as though they had been granted a privileged look into their lives. It is through this developing relationship that they learn more about themselves and how their pasts have shaped the people they have become.

Sophie and Elliott’s stories are heartbreaking and painful but it is also amazing to see the differences in how they look at their lives (both past and future) as well as the ways that they cope with their pain. I throughly enjoyed Old Wounds and could not put it down once I started reading it. I feel like in the first book of this series we have only just scratched the surface of these complex characters and am really excited to further exploring their lives and relationships in the next installment of the Old Wounds series Little Battles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Wounds.

April 18, 2011 – Started Reading