Tanya (Girl Plus Books)'s Reviews > Him

Him by Sarina Bowen

bookshelves: romance-mm, owned-kindle, new-adult, contemporary, 2016-shelf-love-challenge
Read 3 times. Last read November 30, 2019 to December 5, 2019.

12/5/2019: Another perfect re-read of Him. #Wesmie ♥
_______________________________________
4.5 STARS

Re-reading this, on audio this time, was a perfect reminder of how much I adore this book and these characters. The narrators did such an excellent job of telling Wes and Jamie's story.♥
_______________________________________

When you finish a book and all you can think is "why did I wait so long" you know it's a good one. And Him was just that book for me. My friend Brittany had been pushing me to read Him until I started to fear she would show up on my doorstep with a copy (actually that would have been pretty cool). So I ignored my scary TBR, downloaded Him, and instantly fell in love.

Jamie Canning and Ryan (Wes) Wesley are college seniors and gifted hockey players who intend on going pro. They are also old friends who have not seen each other in four years. They'd spent every summer together at hockey camp for years - roommates and best friends. An encounter that last summer when they were 18 changed everything and Jamie didn't hear from Wes again... until their respective teams are facing off at the college championship and they're reunited. When Jamie returns to the summer camp as a coach he finds a surprise: Wes has returned as well and the summer just got very interesting.

I really loved this take on a friends-to-lovers story. Jamie and Wes were so thoroughly likable and it was impossible not to want the best for these two. Seeing them slip right back into their best friend banter was so much fun but there was also the underlying current of something more. For Jamie it was exploring new feelings and opening himself up to new possibilities; for Wes it was allowing himself to act upon his feelings for the one man he had always loved but knew he couldn't have. While Jamie's acceptance of himself as a bisexual man seemed to come very quickly and easily, I did enjoy the evolution of their relationship. Overall it felt realistic and while there were bumps in the road they usually managed to handle things with maturity and understanding. Their devotion to one another, both as friends and lovers, was completely heartwarming.

The chemistry between Jamie and Wes is right off the charts and the sexy times are scorching HOT. Seriously. Like, fan-yourself-to-cool-down hot. But their relationship was every bit as emotional as it was physical and that made it all the more engaging.

I loved these guys. I loved their banter, their friendship, their passion, their devotion, their honesty, their humor, and their tenderness. I just fell completely in love with Jamie and Wes and when the book ended all I could think was that I wanted more. Thankfully, their story continues in Us and I can't wait to get more of these two amazing men.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Him.

April 23, 2016 – Started Reading
April 23, 2016 – Shelved
April 26, 2016 –
84.0% "Why didn't I listen to Brittany and read this sooner?! I love Jamie and Ryan so much!"
April 26, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 22, 2017 – Started Reading
June 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 30, 2019 – Started Reading
December 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Tanya (Girl Plus Books) ♫♫♫ ♥♥♥ Candy ♪ Loves♪ Music ┼ Books ♫♫♫ ♥♥♥ wrote: "Absolutely amazing review ..... (¯`v´¯)♥"

Aw, thanks Candy! Loved this one!

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ That's what i keep saying to a lot of my GR friends :) just read HIM, give it a chance, do it!!! Lol
Terrific review, darling! I also loved book 2 , US ;)

Tanya (Girl Plus Books) ✤Maria✤ wrote: "That's what i keep saying to a lot of my GR friends :) just read HIM, give it a chance, do it!!! Lol
Terrific review, darling! I also loved book 2 , US ;)"

Thanks Maria! I am so ready to dive onto Us. I need more Jamie and Wes in my life. :)

Kei • fiction court • YAY!!! I ♥ THESE TWO!

Tanya (Girl Plus Books) Kei wrote: "YAY!!! I ♥ THESE TWO!"

I just totally fell for Jamie and Wes... I read most of the book with a huge smile on my face. :)