Steph's Reviews > Tempest Rising

Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

2142019
Apr 18, 2011

bookshelves: year-read-2011, author-웃, favorites-2011, series-book1, sos-games-bsb-r2, series-completed, series-ended

I had a hard time connecting with Jane initially. While the loss of her first love was obvious and the town's treatment of her was terrible, I just wasn't, well, interested. Until Jane makes a discovery in the ocean which sets things in motion that change her life forever. And, the addition of one hot vamp, Ryu, didn't hurt a bit either.

In Tempest Rising, the first book in the Jane True series, we are introduced to Jane. She lives with her father in a very small town, Rockabill, Maine. Many people in the town think she's strange and they don't keep their feelings to themselves. But, she continues to go about her life, working in a bookstore 'Read it and Weep' (love that name), indulge in her favorite pastime, swimming in the ocean and taking care of her father, doing her best to ignore them.

She knows she needs to get life, but she cannot seem to move on from the loss of her first love. That is until Ryu, a vampire who's in charge of investigating the death of a tourist, comes to town to talk to Jane. While Ryu and Jane's 'relationship' does seem to move fast, you can't blame her b/c she's held back for so long and he sets her hormones a blazin'.

Jane learns that everything, including her family history, is not as it seems. She's introduced into a life full of the supernatural.

Jane's internal dialogue was a hoot. She has a witty sense of humour despite all she's dealt with in the past. It's fun seeing the "real Jane" come to the foreground.

I loved all the supes in this story. Many of which I'd only ever seen in the movies. I thought they were all written well, many of them are funny and colorful, some are scary, while others are just small-minded. The world building, while slow to be built, was one that I look forward to return to soon.

Once the story picked up, I couldn't put the book down. I really, really enjoyed it. Had it not been for the slow start, I would've rated it 5★. I'm very anxious to read the rest of the series and happy that I have the next two handy right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.

April 18, 2011 – Started Reading
April 18, 2011 – Shelved
April 18, 2011 –
17.0% "The first 10% or so wasn't grabbin' me, but now I'm gettin' interested."
April 19, 2011 –
37.0% "Oh yeah, 'dinner' on the beach with Ryu ... I'm in! >;) {Jane} "I didn’t know whether to run away or cover him with lobster filling and eat him up right then and there.""
April 19, 2011 –
38.0% "These two have so many funny lines right now. {Jane} "Feeeeeeeeeeeeed me, my body roared, like the plant in Little Shop of Horrors." LOL!"
April 19, 2011 –
70.0% "Ryu looked at me, feigning dignity. “We do not have sex grottos ,” he sniffed. “This is a love lagoon. Or a petting pool. Or a fornication fountain. But never a sex grotto .” LOL! Fornication fountain. >;)"
April 20, 2011 –
86.0% "All over his neck raw looking wounds glistened angrily ... Nyx just gave a whole new meaning to the expression BYOB."
April 20, 2011 –
100.0% "Really enjoyed this book! I was a tad bit worried in the beginning b/c it took me a few chapters to really get into it. I was starting to wonder if it had been a bad idea to buy #1-3 at once. Now, I'm patting myself on the back for a decision well made. :) Full review to follow."
April 20, 2011 – Shelved as: year-read-2011