Jolly Per's Reviews > The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea

The Princess Companion by Melanie Cellier

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, young-adult, classic-retold

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

I have been obsessed with classic fairy tale retells ever since I read The Lunar Chronicles early this year. So when I read the synopsis and heard that the author was giving free copies of this book in exchange of an honest review, I quickly signed up and dived into it at once.

The Princess and the Pea was not a very famous fairy tale story unlike Cinderella, Snow White, Belle and such. I don't even remember Disney made a movie adaptation about it, or they did? I had to dig out some of my forgotten childhood memories to remember the story. Eventually, I did, but very minimal.

Cellier really did a great job. The Princess Companion was well-written. It was perfect and sophisticated in it's own way. Cellier put depth and subtlety in every elements--world-building, politics, family, friendship, and romance.

Okay. So the story was written in narration, which our very own protagonist, Alyssa, recounted her journey towards her happy ending. But Cellier gave us glimpse of some characters' POVs, which was refreshing.

Alyssa. I very much liked her. She was neither the typical know-it-all nor the I-want-to-save-them female lead. She was just a normal teenager. I can't say she's very strong but she definitely had some weak points, and she knew it. She got brains, baby. So she strengthened her weak points that shaped her to be lovable and firm soldier... er, lady, I mean.

It kind of reminded me of The Selection though (view spoiler). Also, I was expecting hardcore romantic and unbelievable cheesy lines and scenes. But, surprisingly, the story revolved around. Every thing and every character was tackled. Cellier made an avenue for the readers to know and understand each and every characters. She also added some action scenes that spiced up the story. Some scenes also made me smile and laugh out loud as there were exchanged of witty banters from the characters. The book was just so awesome and great everyhing was blended perfectly together. *clap clap clap!*

Right. About ze Queen - yes, that's right, the Queen - she surprised me. I won't spoil anything but, really, who would have thought that she had to go through a murky past? Ugh, that one's a total slay!

If there's any thing I didn't like about this book, it's the cover. C'mon! It was like a work of a middle-schooler-graphic-artist wannabe. Seriously, it's not very attractive. I had doubts and wasn't sure what to expect when I started to read this book. I was like, "Was this book written for kids or what?" Really. If they really want to make this a hit for today's generation, make the cover a bit appealing at least. Anyway, this is just my honest opinion.

Overall, The Princess Companion was really captivating, bewitching and an incredible classic retell. Oh, I just love it. Absolutely. Every bits of it. Like, I literally couldn't put it down and just found myself reading until 4 in the morning. Ugh. Not totally me. That's why I am looking forward to read the next book.

I recommend this to EVERYONE, whether you're a fairy tale classic retell lover or not.

Final rating: 4.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Companion.

April 22, 2016 – Started Reading