karen's Reviews > Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea

Narwhal by Ben Clanton

bookshelves: kiddiwinx, netgalley

photo IMG_1814_zpsgd7o3dif.jpg

if i'm being honest, this doesn't really stand up to my other five star ratings, even my five star ratings specific to other children's picture books.

but sometimes it's just about what you need at a particular time, and this book brought a goofy smile to my face when i really really needed it.

i mean, look at that - how can you be anything but charmed by that face?

photo IMG_1813_zps5hlm4zy9.jpg

the answer is - you cannot, sir.

this is just a cute book about a narwhal and a jellyfish who are friends.

or, rather, who become friends after some initial suspicion on the part of the jellyfish.

photo IMG_1811_zps6b7ooloh.jpg

it's three short stories with two shorter interludes between 'em.

in the first story, narwhal and jellyfish suss each other out, taxonomically, in the second, they expand their social circle to include many other aquatic pals, and in the third, narwhal shares his favorite book with jellyfish and everyone learns a little something about the power of imagination.

and what ties it all together?

photo IMG_2019_zpsx9px9omi.jpg

waffles.

photo IMG_1812_zps7hx3pxzd.jpg

these kids sure do like waffles.

photo IMG_1815_zpsnfmvh509.jpg

every chance this guy has to draw a waffle, he will draw a waffle.

and it's that sort of charming silliness that activated my giggles when i thought i had no giggles left to spare.

so, yeah, it's a 60-page book; it's not going be what gets you through a long rainy afternoon and you probably won't hand it down through the generations as a treasured heirloom, but it is wicked adorable, and when they start merching this out into stuffed animals and coffee mugs, make sure you give me and my wallet a call.

come to my blog!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Narwhal.

April 22, 2016 – Started Reading
April 22, 2016 – Shelved
April 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Dr. Rupali Gursale good book

message 2: by Sh3lly (new)

Sh3lly Aw cute. I love narwhals!

message 3: by Ginger (new)

Ginger This made me want a Waffle ; / maybe with a fried Twinkie on top. I blame you karen....

message 4: by Ro Prufrock (new)

Ro Prufrock The pictures are almost painfully cute & I need this book. (Their little faces!!)

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Teehee.... adorable narwhal is adorable :)

I'm glad this book gave you the happies :)

karen Ginger wrote: "This made me want a Waffle ; / maybe with a fried Twinkie on top. I blame you karen...."

karen Ro Prufrock wrote: "The pictures are almost painfully cute & I need this book. (Their little faces!!)"

TOO CUTE!

message 8: by Ginger (new)

Ginger karen wrote: "Ginger wrote: "This made me want a Waffle ; / maybe with a fried Twinkie on top. I blame you karen...."

yummmm - sounds good to me! i just had a bagel with peanut butter and bacon on it."

You always introduce me to these fantastic things. *looks for the bagels*

karen just as long as you never want anything remotely healthy

[Name Redacted] They're the Jedi of the sea! They stop Cthulhu eating ye!

message 11: by Rhea O'Brien (new)

Rhea O'Brien it looks like a good book is it a good kids book of a grown-up book !

karen it is definitely for kids.

karen [Name Redacted] wrote: "They're the Jedi of the sea! They stop Cthulhu eating ye!"

they are so cute they make my teeth ache

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin Delightfully delightful.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Ginger wrote: "karen wrote: "Ginger wrote: "This made me want a Waffle ; / maybe with a fried twinkie on top. I blame you karen!"

……………………………………………………

*************************************************
Someone rerererequote this!!
*************************************************
ha!!

message 16: by Riley James (new)

Riley James That has to be the cutest comic ever

karen no kidding, right? waffles!

message 18: by Catgirl (new)

Catgirl Narwhals!!!!

6th grader *help* Norwals really unicorns of rhe sea.

6th grader *help* amazing book

6th grader *help* perfect for me because I am a kid.

message 22: by karen (last edited Dec 06, 2016 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen

karen sure, if that's the only criteria

Isaac :D 不是好好好好口

message 26: by Erica (new)

Erica You: the interludes include fun nature facts about both narwhal and jellyfish and a narwhal song.

Me: This song? Is that the one that is in the interlude? It's been quoted a couple of times in the comments, I see.

message 27: by Tia Rose Lovett (new)

Tia Rose Lovett narwhals are so cute !!
looks like a good book!!

Kayla My thoughts exactly!

karen i love this series! i have the finger puppets now, too!