Julie's Reviews > Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 1: Black Squadron

Star Wars by Charles Soule

bookshelves: star-wars, graphic-novels, borrowed-from-library, poc-on-cover, non-white-mc, tie-ins

Oh gosh, this comic book was a delight! 4.5 stars. It covers some of Poe's shenanigans with Black Squadron (Jessika Pava, Snap Wexley, et al) in the leadup to The Force Awakens, on their search for Lor San Tekka -- and their clashes with Agent Terex, a First Order intelligence operative who is amazing, all mustachioed charm and whimsy as he and Poe wind up in a new cat-and-mouse game, an almost Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner-esque situation. There's a prison break. There's an exasperated Leia. There's his ace pilots, the comfortable camaraderie and love in the group. There's Phil Noto's gorgeous, photo-realistic artwork that looks so much like the actors that it's uncanny. The whole thing read like an actual Star Wars movie, and I loved it. Only very slightly rounded down because I would have liked to see more from Jess & Snap & co, and I hope they're developed more in subsequent volumes (since where else am I gonna get to see them??).

Also the very last add-on in the volume is a teeny tiny story where BB-8 takes it upon himself to stage a meet-cute for a Resistance pilot and technician, and it is the cutest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Wars.

April 22, 2016 – Shelved
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: poc-on-cover
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: non-white-mc
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: tie-ins
July 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Julie I am totally loving this series. The art is drop dead gorgeous, but on top of that, the dialogue is great, the stories are interesting... it's just all around enjoyable.