Bradley's Reviews > Promise of Blood

Promise of Blood by Brian  McClellan

bookshelves: 2017-shelf, fantasy, worldbuilding-sf

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this book and while I was somewhat skeptical at first, I am quite pleased to announce that it was delightful. :)

Delightful as in lots of blood and guts, gun-mages, sorcerers, revolution, plain war, resurrected gods, a very sneaky Chef and a fantastic investigation that's all gumshoe mystery in a fully-realized fantasy realm.

What makes this stand out, though?

I think it's mostly the characters, the bright pacing, and the magic system.

A lot of these epic fantasies get bogged down with too many characters, IMHO, but this one keeps a great balance with three PoV's, truly interesting storylines for each, and a few that are sufficiently non-standard that it was just a breath of fresh air. I mean, where else are we going to get octogenarian generals in the forefront of a big action tale and pull it off well enough that it's exciting and crusty and never boring? I tell you, it's a treat! Or an investigator who used to run a printing press being pressed into service as an investigator again for the revolution? :) Good stuff.

But what really stuck in my mind was the writing. I may be wrong about this little intuition, but there were enough stylistic callbacks in this novel to make me think I was reading some of Brent Weeks. Not only that... but some of the naming choices seemed to be a loving shout-out to Weeks as well. I was tickled pink. Again, I may be wrong about this, but I don't think I am.

I'm putting this series on a "must grab" status in my mind. It reads quickly and deliciously and it was never a chore. It's a long book, to be sure, but it was still never a chore. I can't wait to see what the gods are going to do to us poor mortals. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise of Blood.

April 22, 2016 – Shelved
April 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 18, 2017 – Started Reading
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-shelf
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: worldbuilding-sf
June 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sr3yas Great review, Brad! I loved this one. Especially the idea of revolution and whole magical system!

Bradley Yup! It's probably going to be my new stop-gap favorite. :)

Conal The series continues the quality of the 1st book. Something to look forward to is the 1st book in the follow up series is the best yet.

Bradley Thank you! That warms my heart!

Kevin I think the series improves as it goes so you are going to have to figure out how to get to 6 stars

Bradley No worries. I usually just put such books in my "fanboy-goes-squee" bookshelf. :)