C.G. Drews's Reviews > Calamity

Calamity by Brandon Sanderson

You know what's scary? FINALES. Because they're so often disappointing. And unfortunately I was reeeeally disappointed with Calamity. And this is BREAKING MY SOUL because Steelheart and Firefight are two of my FAVOURITE reads of this year!! What even went wrong here?! Why am I a melon of discontent? Whyyyyyyyyy did you have to fail me, Calamity?

[INSERT DEJECTED SOBBING]

And I mean this book took me a month to read. A MONTH. I listened to the audio, yes, but I just never felt like picking it back up when I took a break. For the last 30% I put it on 2x the speed just to get through the darn thing.

Okay, but let's keep it together now and firstly talk about what is awesome about this series. Because flailing still needs to be done.

WHAT I LOVED:
David is still utterly AMAZING. The horrible terrible metaphors?? His quick thinking? His intense nerdiness? He is adorable and wonderful and I LOVE HIM. One of my favourite protagonists of them all.
• I reeeally like the romance. Because it's not like "LEMME MAKE OUT WITH YOU EVERY 2 SECONDS" which seems to happen a lot in finales. Doom oncoming, and all that. I mean, David and Megan have MOMENTS, but they're really not forefront of the story. I so enjoyed this! And I still shipped them like crazy! They insult each other and David is a complete dork and whenever Megan says something about needing a bigger weapon to shoot people with, David is just like "WOMAN, I LOVE YOU." This is a relationship built on the love of explosives. So much win. So much boom.
As always, I loved seen what creative Epic powers would appear. Forget simple stuff like "invisibility" or "super strength"...these superpowered Epics are SO DIFFERENT AND COMPLEX AND INTERESTING.
• Plenty of punching happened. And shooting and stabbing.
I neeearly teared up at the end. Which is always a nice thing to do. Because, yeah, manipulate my feels, why don't you. (view spoiler)
• I just really enjoyed this series! For the characters, the plot, the elements, the writing, the sass, and the terrible terrible plans that are so fun to read.

...okay...time to be doom....

WHY I'M SO MONSTROUSLY DISAPPOINTED:

Dude, it was freaking boring. I can't even believe I'm saying this. But??? Half of the plot DID NOT DO ANYTHING. They were just sneaking about a new city and trying to capture Proff and failing, failing, failing, FAILING. With a few doomed fights thrown in. Like...I just got to the point where I COULD NOT CARE LESS. Do something interesting?! Please.
• The fight scenes were SO LONG. Especially the finale one. It was downright tedious. Because, we get it, shoot things and accomplish nothing and feel dejected about your humanity. #naptime
• I can't even BELIEVE how the writing took a dive. Okay, full disclaimer: before I even read Brandon Sanderson's books, I watched his writing lectures on youtube and thought they were AMAZING. Hence I read his books! But he literally breaks so many writing rules here I just wanted to scream. Say hello to TONS OF NEEDLESS REPETITION. It was infuriating. David recapped SO SO MUCH. And this did not happen in the last books, so why happening now??? If you edited out all of David's useless recaps (because helloooo we KNOW we just read it 2 paragraphs ago) you would have half a book left. I'm honestly shocked. I, as a reader, felt so dumbed down.
• Then Proff...omg. I hate him and he was annoying. The plot, of course, is "save Proff! Make him face the darkness!" blah blah blah....dude. I hate Proff. I have from the get go, because he's always been a man who fancies himself above the others, even when he was hiding his Epic status. And his weakness is STUPID. (view spoiler) Plus I just don't get why they wanted to save him. Their team was 98% happier without his horribleness. And every time he was mentioned, he was grunting and sneering and it was just tedious repititon on his actions.
• Like, I get it dude, SNORT LIKE A RAGING BULL, I'M SO SCARED MY BUNNY SLIPPERS RAN FOR COVER JUST NOW.
• And then there was this scene where David could have (view spoiler)
This series used to avoid cliches...now I think it just ATE THEM ALL AT ONCE. The ending. was. so. cliche.
Not to mention I guessed the Epic Plot Twist At The End. Hahahah. Called it. Either that means it was too cliche/obvious (because I'm usually about as savvy as an underwater pineapple) or else I'm a genius. Well. I suppose the latter could be true too.
• The plot and pacing were off the whole time. Like we spent CHAPTERS chasing bunny trails. I get it. Life is never direct. But books don't get that luxury! Every scene needs to be pertinent to the story! But I just felt like so many events were pointless fillers. And then the spend 80% of the book tracking Proff and being boring mushrooms, and 20% left to do the actual exciting stuff?? What??????
• And can we ACKNOWLEDGE how it just skimped on David's secret? Because, hello, I'm furious. Back in Firefight we know he's got (view spoiler)
And also it had tons of little unrealistic aspects. Like no one really ate. Every time they got busted up, they just healed with the harmsway. The stakes were way too low for everybody. Only (view spoiler). NO ONE HAD SNACKS. DID I MENTION THAT?? HOW CAN WE DO THIS WITHOUT SNACKS. Plus omg, one minute David is so exhausted he can't stand -- the next he's running and shooting things again. It was all so contradictory.
• And so many elements were left unconcluded. Like "here's a huge huge HUGE plot element...thaaaat we're not talking about". What? What is this? The dimensions were confusing and underdeveloped and the powers weren't fully explained. And it just felt like a lot of David THINKING about stuff but never getting answers. AND I WAS BORED, DID I MENTION I WAS BORED. HOW CAN I BE BORED. I WANTED TO LOVE THIS.

...And, fine, FINE, I'll stop. I'm just disappointed. I want to shelves this as an "entire 5 star series!" but instead it's like "FIVES STARS! FIVE STARS! ... three stars?" This is like the child we don't talk about. Anticlimactic, boring, and tedious. NOT words I wanted to use in relation to this series. Even my love of the characters didn't rescue it.

Now, excuse me, I need to go cry to chocolate about this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calamity.

April 22, 2016 – Shelved
October 25, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 25, 2016 – Shelved as: audio-books
October 25, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

vibraniums IM GONNA LOVE THIS SERIES I KNOW IT .

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks 2x speed.. you reminded me how I used to watch Doctor Who classic episodes (1960's, painstakingly slow pace) on 155% speed xD

I'm surprised you still gave it 3 stars. Very hard to give a disappointing book more than 2. It's even worse than one that makes you angry (which is more often for me, somehow)

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks Also, I'm not a stalker, I promise :D nobody else posted anything I could comment on now xD

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes so much yes. I couldn't agree more

message 5: by Jaimi Rachelle (new)

Jaimi Rachelle That's so disappointing!

message 6: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Evelina: I knoooow. SO MUCH BAD. But I love the characters and there were still SEVERAL moments that had me laughing out loud, so that's always a huge win for me. XD (And omg, hahha, YOU'RE FINE. I love chatting with you!)

@Kat: *cries with you for our broken expectations*

@Jaimi: IT IS. I'm so devastated.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

"I can solve all of your problems" - The Chocolate

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

"Well, actually, it depends. 70% can solve 70%, 80% 80% ect." - The Chocolate

message 9: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Patterson Honestly, I love so much of how Brandon writes but maybe it's how fast he churns out the books, that lots of it is tightly written except it misses that raw heart stuff to me. Brain is satisfied, heart is not.

For a book that was mostly action, it read easily but had a drama like pace.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Gavin: Oh definitely agreed. Like I did like it...but then it just wasn't up to par AT ALL with his other books. It did feel underbaked, like there wasn't much plot going on??? And the pacing was so off. *cries*

message 11: by Liam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liam I have to agree with all of this. The setting was great, the plot and characters were okay, but the writing was just not there. I wish it didn't have to be this way.

message 12: by Jam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jam I was going to write a review, but you've said everything I was going to.

Boring plot mostly due to bad pacing and underdeveloped characters. Not to mention all three books are the same - David teams up with the Reckoners to fight the big bad Epic in a city shaped or controlled by epic powers (steel, water, salt), throw in a plot twist at the 80% mark and you've got yourself a book. Fine the first two times, but doing the exact same thing in the third book is insulting and is largely why I found it so boring. Well, that and the cliche ending.

The book is hella frustrating, which is a shame because I loved the first and thought the second was pretty good too.