Siddhartha Banerjee's Reviews > The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

M 50x66

did not like it

There are very few books that I've given up quicker than this one: I managed to get about halfway through the first chapter. Tolle tries to present a framework of how to achieve enlightenment without wanting to deal with the details: he doesn't want to tie himself to definitions, he refuses to make concepts concrete, and yet he expects people to follow what the heck he is saying. I'll trouble myself with one example (spoiler alert for those that care) (this book is not worth the effort). Tolle says that "you are not your mind," the mind being the part of you that thinks. He wants people to "shut off their thinking" without addressing the obvious inherent contradiction -- to be aware that you've shut off thinking, you need to think! Perhaps he meant to redefine what "thinking" means, but without explicitly doing so, where's the basis for communication? Enlightenment is a hard concept, and in order to hope that people have even a shred of a chance at understanding, we need to establish common ground. With changing definitions where the reader is left to assume how a term has been redefined from sentence to sentence, this book has absolutely no chance in hell that it will be successful in tackling the topic it means to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Now.

April 21, 2016 – Started Reading