Poulami's Reviews > The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away by A.J. Pine

25272029

bookshelves: contemporary, romance, adult

Originally posted on Daydreaming Books.

*I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was sooo cute! Recently I’ve been reading quite a lot of books with friends to lovers trope which is one of my absolute favourites. This book definitely didn’t disappoint because I pretty much liked every aspect of this book and it was quite an enjoyable ride.

Jamie has been in love with Brynn since forever. But he had never taken a step forward because she had been crushing on another guy. Though he did have chance once but he let it go because of his own stupidity. Now after ten years, he has one last chance to make Brynn his. To do so, he plans a road trip for them together which will decide their fate- either they will get their HEA or their friendship will be destroyed forever. Is it a risk that Jamie’s willing to take?

I loved the plot. I am a sucker for best friends to lovers kind of storyline and I’m glad I gave this story a chance because it was pretty awesome! Jamie and Brynn has been best friends since middle school, they always had each other’s backs no matter what. But Jamie had been never been able to confess his real feelings to Brynn. Though I understand his reason of letting the chance pass up when he was seventeen but he really should have told her the truth later. But again, he had always been her second choice, her fallback. I could totally understand his dilemma about not telling her. Nonetheless, I loved their friendship.

I loved Jamie’s character. He was such a sweet and a nice guy, always there for Brynn. I could understand the emotional turmoil that he was going through though I did want to smack him a couple of times! Brynn, well… she was a nice character as well but she was so stubborn to see what was right in front of her. Although I know her reason was justifiable but still!! Oh God! These two characters were soo stubborn! But I did love the angst! Also they had undeniable chemistry and I absolutely loved the romance!

I loved the idea of the road trip and although it was not an easy journey for them, I’m glad it brought out everything that they had both suppressed all these years. I’m so glad when they both understood each other and came to their senses! I really loved them together. The other characters were pretty interesting as well. I loved Holly, Brynn’s sister and Annie, their mutual friend. What would happen to those idiots if these two weren’t present!

Overall, The One That Got Away was a great read! I loved how the plot was neatly executed, although the characters were pretty stubborn and sometimes acted like an idiot, I couldn’t help but fall in love with them! I pretty much finished this book in one sitting. The writing was simple and beautiful and the pace was even throughout the book. I’m definitely looking forward to read more works by this author.

Recommend it?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One That Got Away.

April 21, 2016 – Started Reading