Dmp's Reviews > HazelMoon's Hawaiian Tarot

HazelMoon's Hawaiian Tarot by Katalin E. Csikos

U 50x66

“…This one was done in acrylic paint and jelly pens, on acrylic paper. "In the past, we’ve had the Tahitian-inspired Tarot de Paul Gauguin. But if we hoist sail, and leave the Society Islands, and sail west by north west, correcting our course a bit to the starboard at Melanesia, cross the equator with Micronesia off to the port, and put our heading to the north, we arrive at the Hawaiian Island chain. Fifteen hundred miles of archipelago, ocean – islands.

“There’s a peace in the islands that is difficult to describe to mainlanders. It’s difficult to describe how ‘western’ values change after one spends time…well, let’s take time. There’s this thing called ‘Island time’…it drives the haolis nuts. But on the islands, the sun comes up, sun goes down, tide moves in, ebbs, and moves out. That’s the rhythm, not some artificial haoli time concept.”

“Okay, so tell me about the deck.”

“I’ve heard a couple of poor adjectives used to describe the deck by folks who don’t grok the islands. In my opinion, the artist’s work is a return to both Primitivism and the Synthetism art movements.

“It is a deck that at once is colorful and peaceful. Like the tide, it’s a deck you have to allow to wash over you. It’s about letting go of our Eurocentric ‘needs’.”

Jerusha began to examine the laminated cards. “Tell me about the borders.”

“Ancient Hawaiian petroglyphs.”

“Interesting, it does look as though this has merit for study.” Eli injected.

“Twenty degrees north my friend, twenty degrees north. If you can’t live there, you can take it with you. Love to chat longer, but I gotta scoot.”

Excerpt from Cards & Curios in Timeless Spirit Magazine (Volume 8 Issue 1 ISSN# 1708-3265) November 2010 By Dan M. Pelletier

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read HazelMoon's Hawaiian Tarot.

Finished Reading