J.K. Turner's Reviews > Seeking Refuge: On the Shores of the Global Refugee Crisis

Seeking Refuge by Stephan Bauman

U 50x66

bookshelves: 2016-challenge

My Rating – Put it on your list

Level – short, easy. A quick read, but I’m also going to add compelling, especially as you read the personal stories.

My Thoughts/Summary Mix
This is an important and timely book. I think two overarching themes of the refugee crisis often go overlook. First, they make a great case (because, they use the Bible) that we should accept refugees. If you are unaware, there are a great many verses related to refugees, strangers and foreigners. Most come from the OT, but, of course the issue can be fairly easily summed with – Love your neighbor. Second, the missionary opportunity. You have the opportunity to have people from all over the world, right in your neighborhood, or at least a short drive away. Even more inspiring, many of the refugees would like to go back home. There are no shortage of stories in this book of refugees who became Christians and then went back to spread the Gospel.

However, the plurality of refugees are Christian fleeing religious persecution. This means so much of the fear is unfounded and instead of viewing someone as a terrorist, it is more probably that they are a brother or sister in Christ, whom we should welcome.

The book does a good job of taking the reader through the immigration and asylum processes. They explain who the people coming here are, and why they are coming. Too many complex issues in our society are dumbed down to simple talking points. The refugee crisis is far more complicated than Muslims=terrorist=ban refugees. Currently, I’m in a Bible study going through the book of James. James calls us to action. He requires we love others and act out our faith. He also says we should not make distinction between people for things like the way the dress or how much money they have.

Even while discussing this, people in the group are voicing their support for banning Muslims. I get it, will actually I don’t but that’s because I have a statistically oriented mind (as a white guy in his 30s, my most likely cause of death is auto accident. Also, I live in the South, so I’m more likely to be shot by a toddler playing with an unsecured gun than a terrorist, but I digress). However, I do empathize with the fear. People want to protect their family and they see this as a dire threat. Unfortunately, that’s not what we are called to do. It wasn’t safe for the Good Samaritan to stop to help someone on the side of the road. It certainly wasn’t practical or discerning; but we are called to do the same.

I’m getting off topic, but the point is, this is a major crisis, it is not going away quickly, and we must, as Christians, respond, and our response cannot be to turn them away. This book is a great read for anyone curious as to how Christians should respond. The authors do a great job in tying the issue to the Bible, explaining current geopolitical and economic issues and really personalizing this crisis. Anyone who is searching for good information about the refugee situation in the world today and our Christian response should put this book on their list of books to read next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeking Refuge.

April 21, 2016 – Started Reading