Jenny's Reviews > Voice of Freedom: Fannie Lou Hamer

Voice of Freedom by Carole Boston Weatherford

bookshelves: biography, american-history-for-kids, children-s-books, poetry, picture-books
Read 2 times. Last read March 17, 2017.

It was neat to read this right about the same time I read March: Book Three as Fannie Lou Hamer was part of the Civil Rights Movement and was featured in March.

This contains poetry that introduce us to Hamer's life and her fight for civil rights. She was brave and eloquent and able to overcome some heartbreaking situations! The illustrations are amazing! And I enjoyed the poetry.

I was especially touched by the poem Africa. She had never seen a black pilot before going to Africa and was saddened that she was treated better there than in her own country. But the part that I found especially touching and heartrending were these last 4 lines:

"So many things reminded me of home.
My ancestors spoke to me. I wondered,
Could some folks I met be my distant kin?
I was angry that slavery cut the ties."

I think there is so much value in knowing your history, knowing your family background, researching your genealogy and somehow this seems just one of so many cruelties and horrors of slavery...not being able to trace your family lines, not knowing where you came from or who is your kin. I knew this intellectually before reading this book, but this book made me feel that loss, that sorrow.

My other favorite poem was Black Power. Here is the last half of the poem:

"How could I hate?
I mourned whites who died for freedom.
I have lived long enough to know
that no race has a corner on decency.
I feel sorry for anybody that could let hate wrap them up.
Ain't no such thin as I can hate anybody
and hope to see God's face.
Out of one blood God made all nations."

The Civil Rights Movement occurred before I was born but I have a deep respect and admiration for those who worked so tirelessly to make this nation better...particularly those who used a nonviolent approach to further this cause.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voice of Freedom.

Finished Reading