Wart Hill's Reviews > Roller Girl

Apr 20, 2016

bookshelves: netgalley, arc2016, vanessa, auto-buy-author, lgbtq

Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

This book has left me with a lot of feels. I'm not sure how much of it I can actually articulate. It was amazing to read a book like this, to see Tina's journey and the growth of her relationship with Joe as they both deal with their own issues and come together. It is a gorgeous love story and so beautifully written.

There are two moments I want to focus on because they hit me hardest.

The first is when Ben is talking to Tina about doing an interview about her previous time as a wake-boarder and how she's gotten into roller derby. He tells her not to do it for herself now, but to do it for herself when she was a kid, to be that person that she needed to see. Because Tina is Trans and Ben asks her how she would have felt if she had seen a Trans athlete on tv as a kid and just. That hits me hard. When I see Trans actors getting roles? That shit inspires me so much. Just knowing that people like me can excel at what we want to do.

The second part was after a match when Tina meets a fan names Tommy who is currently using they/them pronouns and is super excited to meet Tina because when they say her on TV "They saw trans, and they saw themself."

I was pretty much a sobby mess at that point.

A beautiful story. Thank you, Vanessa North.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roller Girl.

April 20, 2016 – Shelved
May 11, 2016 – Shelved as: lgbtq
May 30, 2016 – Started Reading
June 1, 2016 –
June 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ I'm going to read your review after I read the book but I see your five stars. Yes!!! I'm excited for this.

message 2: by Rain (new) - added it

Rain Merton Can't wait for this book!