Perks Of Being A Fangirl's Reviews > Soldier

Soldier by Julie Kagawa

Apr 20, 2016

bookshelves: 2016, arc, fantasy, glass-case-of-emotion, net-galley

A little message to myself would be:

As expected, Kagawa wrote another killer book! When I first saw the cover, it was truly majestic. Excitement was already coursing through my veins but, at the same time I was a nervous wreck with the anticipation of the story to continue.

Oh boy, this novel was a massive roller coaster of emotions at one point I was reaching the heavens and the next, I was in a ditch. All the feelings from excitement to frustration started bubbling and brewing and after reading the last page, I was emotionally and physically exhausted as I had read it in one sitting. After every page, I just wanted more, I needed more. In contrast to the previous book in the series, this novel progressed significantly in terms of the plot.

It's truly magical how Kagawa could whisk up such a wonderful story especially with an outstanding character development on Garrett. It may be the understatement of the year when I say I love Garrett, but he makes me go all 'heart eyes' on him- If ember doesn't want him, I volunteer as tribute. Every time I read Garrett's perspective, I felt my heart squeeze and suffocated, all this sadness and heartbreak laced within his narrative is truly destroying.

I really enjoyed the changing narrative perspectives as it gave me a better insight of each character and what they embody. As I've mentioned previously, Ember wasn't my favourite character, her narratives were annoying due to her always being so indecisive and when she did make a decision, I would give a big hooray! However, I do understand that her narratives are necessary to convey her torment between her dragon and her human thoughts.

One thing that I would like to see more in the next book would be to see more of Dante. At the moment, I feel like he's a bit out of the loop despite him playing a significant role in the latter of the series.

To put it simply, I am so pumped for the next book. Bring it on!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soldier.

Started Reading
April 18, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 20, 2016 – Shelved
April 20, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
April 20, 2016 – Shelved as: arc
April 20, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 20, 2016 – Shelved as: glass-case-of-emotion
April 20, 2016 – Shelved as: net-galley

Stacey *RoseyCheeksReviews* i COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU! but i want ember and Riley to be together, what do you think is going to happen to dante?

Perks Of Being A Fangirl Stacey wrote: "i COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU! but i want ember and Riley to be together, what do you think is going to happen to dante?"

In some aspects, I feel Dante is going to be important but in others, not so. Like at the moment, he feels a bit out of the loop and not really a part of the book so, i'm so excited for the next book!

What about you?

Stacey *RoseyCheeksReviews* I have a sneaky suspicion that the elder Wyrm is in fact Ember and Dante's Mom. I believe that Dante will end up getting killed by saint gerorge, or one of the " test tube dragons" trying to prove himself and ember will go crazier then she already is at this point, because that ending of the book with Garrett.. shes going to go nuts. Do you believe garrets going to come back?