Kim's Reviews > Stockholm Diaries, Caroline 2

Stockholm Diaries, Caroline 2 by Rebecca  Hunter

After reading the first book in the Stockholm Diaries series, I absolutely had to read Book 2. Now we catch up with Caroline and Niklas at the tail end of their travels and real life is looming before them. For Caroline, it means finally deciding if she'll go back to Stockholm with Niklas or stay in Detroit for a while and try to make a name for herself as a travel photographer. For Niklas, it's about either staying in Detroit to play for the Red Wings (even though he's not really so keen on the idea of returning to the team after allegation that he'd abused a woman when in reality it was one of his teammates who was the culprit, but it would mean he and Caroline could be together) or returning to Sweden to play for Djurgården, his former hockey team who've offered him a one-year contract.

Throughout the book, we see the struggle both Caroline and Niklas are having with trying to have a life together in Detroit. Her ex- is there and he's a nasty piece of work. And being back in Detroit suddenly has Caroline feeling like she cannot be the person she wants to be. But she is afraid to take the plunge and leave the security of what she knows. Niklas, on the other hand, is willing to do whatever it takes for them to be together, but he wants to know that Caroline is all-in. And sometimes it feels like she isn't, which plays into his insecurities.

I really like how this series shows the pitfalls of being in a multicultural relationship as well as what's so wonderful about it. I also like how Rebecca has created an alpha male in Niklas without turning him into an asshole. I *really* hate this alpha male as jerk trend. I don't care how good they are in bed, a jerk is a jerk. And Niklas is NOT a jerk. I also found Caroline's fear of giving herself to Niklas completely to be believable. She has had such a sheltered life--with her parents trying to make decisions for her, then Brad taking over her life and making her set aside her dreams, so it's understandable that she is afraid of the same thing happening with Niklas.

I missed more of Stockholm in this story, but I knew it would mostly take place in Michigan. Really enjoyed this story and it was wonderful to see Caroline and Niklas come full circle. Now I wonder if they'll go to Mexico together, to meet her family there. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stockholm Diaries, Caroline 2.

April 20, 2016 – Shelved