Amytiger's Reviews > Burned Bridges

Burned Bridges by Marguerite Ashton

it was ok
bookshelves: i-ve-never-finished

You know how some soap operas are HILARIOUS when they try to be dramatic? Like, it's so obvious how much they fuse drama unnecessarily in there? Most of those TV dramas have characters that consist of:
1. "Oh no! I'm pregnant!" *struggles over whether to get an abortion*
2. "My family members are having a feud that has either involved murder, disease, death, or abusive boyfriend number four!" *cries into pillow*
3. "Hi. I'm best friend's brother." *dashing smile* *audience sighs*
This felt like that. The characters in Burned Bridges are *spoiler*:
1. "Family feud! I feel abandoned!" *rushes over to friend's house*
2. "Me?" *blushes* "Pregnant with noncommittal boyfriend."
3. "I'm a doctor who was an alcoholic and passed out while operating! And I'm into the main character!"
4. I forgot who this one was, because I started zoning out around here somewhere.
I got to around chapter 3 and a half? Ack, and I already knew all of these problems. It's realistic if you're on a TV-14 show with Once Upon a Time shed-a-tear actors, but in real life? It's more like:
1. "My life's okay, but my parents are divorced."
2. "My life's pretty good, but I have OCD." *shrugs and takes medication*
3. "My life's pretty terrible, because I'm crippled." *looks down and frowns*
NOT:
"My life sucks bad because my parents divorced while diagnosing me with OCD, crippling me for life." But that's what it felt like here. Only a couple chapters in, I've put it down and decided that I'd only recommend this to people that have such terrible, horrible lives that reading this makes them feel better about themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burned Bridges.

April 19, 2016 – Shelved