Stacey Raymond's Reviews > The Peddler's Road

The Peddler's Road by Matthew  Cody

it was ok

The beginning was very slow and tedious. Once they were whisked away to another reality it was more interesting. but really the world building was weak. The sister babying the brother was annoying and the relationship didn't seem quite right. The sister overall seemed poorly developed or at least off on her motives. It might have been this sister that caused the brother sister relationship to feel wrong.

The set up for the next book was interesting, but I won't continue this story most likely. The villain was over the top. I really don't like the typical evil unstoppable villain... especially when you know they will defeat the guy eventually.

The weaving of different legends, myths, and fairy tales is interesting, but also a bit annoying. When authors retelling some of the magic is lost because they follow the story too closely and the mystery and magic is lost. It was ok, but not even something I liked reading.

Speaking of magic... I didn't like the magic in this story. Again because Matthew is waving different stories together, and the magic used in each story are different, there needs to be an explanation for why this is and how they work together or independently in this new reality. I can't keep reading this book to find out that the author was just using magic as an easy button; without understanding how it works and way.

The actual writing was good. The book just didn't draw me in. It wasn't an escape. It was more of a chore to read, rather than a joy. Maybe this book is more of a 2.5, but it isn't quite a 3 to me. I think younger readers would enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peddler's Road.

April 19, 2016 – Started Reading
April 19, 2016 – Shelved
April 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 29, 2016 –
page 20
July 4, 2016 –
page 147
39.95% "This story starts slow, but it is a more interesting read at this point. Still not loving it, but it is ok."
July 14, 2016 – Finished Reading