Michelle 's Reviews > Saving Maverick

Saving Maverick by Debra Elise

liked it

**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**Saving Maverick is the first book in the new adult Outlaws of baseball series by Debra Elise. I love the bloomsbury spark line, but for some reason I was under the impression that it was for more young adult line of books, but this was most certainly a new adult romance. I am really excited that the spark line is branching out into (or maybe has always done) new adult romances as well. Saving Maverick is a really yummy first book in the Outlaws of baseball series. It is a fluffy romances with depth. And I can't wait to read some more of the players stories. I already have a feeling as to another pairing, and if I am right, it is going to be a great one!

Saving Maverick is told in dual narrative between Maverick and Kelsey. I really liked both Kelsey and Mav. I love a guy that knows exactly what he wants and goes after it relentlessly. I admired the heck out of Mav for just that. He never once wavered in his goal- getting Kelsey, and he was never dissuaded. He is a loyal guy. And I liked Kelsey a lot too. She is brought on to the team to raise Mav's horrible public image. And while she ended up fake dating him to raise his reputation, my one complaint about the book is that we never really saw too much PR in play. We didn't see how their relationship affected his reputation, and I didn't see her doing too many things to help his reputation, other than having him work with the kids (but that wasn't really publicized)

The bulk of the story in Saving Maverick was centered around Mav and Kelsey's relationship. For that reason, I think this book will resonate a lot more with character driven readers than plot driven ones. I think there were a couple of areas, like the one I mentioned above, where I would have liked the plot to have been fleshed out a bit more, but the relationship aspect of this book was wonderful. I really loved getting to know Mav and Kelsey and both of their pasts. Mav totally surprised me at the end of the book, when he found out some bad news. Up until that point I had thought of him as a really strong guy, but the way he reacted was a little disappointing to me. Then again, it was not a light matter that he was dealing with.

Bottom line: if you are a character driven reader and you love a good sports romance, Saving Maverick and the Outlaws of Baseball series is a going to be a wonderful book for you to check out. I think you will completely fall for Maverick.

This review was originally posted on Book Briefs

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Maverick.

April 19, 2016 – Shelved