C.G. Drews's Reviews > Bullet Catcher

Bullet Catcher by Joaquin Lowe

bookshelves: magical-fantasy, read-2016, young-adult

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bullet Catcher.

April 19, 2016 – Started Reading
April 19, 2016 – Shelved
April 19, 2016 –
page 110
36.18% "I don't get it...this is ridiculous??? They're catching bullets with NO MAGIC and just shooting each other with a "oh well, you'll heal!"\n ACTUALLY NO. BULLET WOUNDS DO A LOT MORE DAMAGE THAN THAT."
April 19, 2016 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
April 19, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
April 19, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm) Exactly!!! I was so confused by this. I think it is more fantasy as bullet catching is not possible, especially in the way they are doing it. As they can change the direction of the bullets. But, yeah, as soon as he said there was no magic involved, I was just like WHAT?!?!! >.<

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Chesak This sounds /vaguely/ like magical realism, because people don't really ever talk about magic in that genre, but idek

message 3: by Giulia (new)

Giulia  I know it sounds crazy, but even if your review wasn't exactly positive, it made me so curious I shelved the book anyway! Though, do they catch bullets with their hands? That seems a bit unlikely.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Chesak No, in magical realism everyone just kind of accepts fantastical/magical things as being completely normal and they don't try to explain, so more often than not magic isn't even mentioned in it.

Buuuut this book is shelved under "Western," so IDK. Because magical realism would make so much more sense what with the bullet catching and everything... but I digress. :P

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Hahaha, your Mulan reference was a nice touch XD

message 6: by Sarah Marie (new)

Sarah Marie The fact that I'm wearing a Pocahontas shirt while reading this review makes me incredibly happy.:'D I've never been much a western reader, but then again it's a genre that I feel like is hard to fully accomplish with accuracy and precision while maintaining an interesting plot that doesn't run around in circles.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I laughed so much at this review. This was wonderful.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Mulan reference though. XD