Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Frost

Frost by Wendy Delsol

bookshelves: 2011-release, arcs-i-own, mundie-moms-reviews, 2011-100-book-challenge

I loved Stork and the magical element and rich Norse and Jack Frost mythologies that Wendy brought to life in her story. She does the same thing with Frost, but adds another great spin on a fabulous mythology, The Snow Queen. This added a whole new depth to the story and series. I liked how she introduced it into the series.

I'm a sucker for well written story that takes an existing mythology and makes it their own, and Wendy has a talent for doing that. She brings the right amount of magic into her stories. This time Wendy used all the right elements to make the magical story of The Snow Queen come to life. Being very familiar with this story I felt that is was both fitting and believable for Kat's story. Wendy did a great job at using Jack's ability, and Stanley's research he's done on Global Warming from Stork to mold this mythology into her over all plot line. Through The Snow Queen, Wendy was also able to test Jack and Kat's relationship and love for another. I of course wasn't too fond of them being apart for a chunk of the story, but I liked what she did once she reunited them. This also allowed for Kat to take a journey of her own as she sets off to bring Jack home.

Kat herself grows a lot in this story. She's stronger, and becomes a bit more sarcastic. Her inner thoughts made me laugh more than a few times. She handles some situations surprisingly well. This story isn't so much about her continuing to work on developing her abilities as I thought it was going to be. Instead Kat becomes a heroine as she's on a mission to save Jack. Jack too changes, a lot. It's not his fault he fell under The Snow Queen's spell, but I did miss having him around for a big part of the story. The Snow Queen, aka Brigid, is someone I disliked from the moment she enters the picture. With her introduction to the story it was obvious who she was, though I loved her cover and modern day fit into society.

Many of the things I loved about Stork were put into Frost's background, as Wendy developed more of what felt like a companion story for Stork. The Stork society which plays a huge role in Stork, places a minor role in this story. There's some other paralleling stories like Kat's mom's pregnancy, Stanley's research with Brigid, a new researcher from Greenland, a startling change in Jack, and Kat's try outs for the school's upcoming play, The Snow Queen, that make up the story line. There were times I felt like too much was going on and I wasn't sure why certain story lines were crucial to Frost, but in the end it all made sense as Wendy ties everything together nicely. I'd definitely recommend this to fans of the series. I love what the publisher has done with covers! It's a perfect fit for the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost.

April 16, 2011 – Shelved