Valerie's Reviews > 2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America

2030 by Albert Brooks

Apr 16, 2011

2030 is about America in, you guessed it, the year 2030. Cancer has been cured. There is a pill for obesity. Everyone is living much, much longer. This is all well and good for the people who should be dead by now, but what about the people supporting them? Sure, you can keep upping the retirement age, but how much will that really help?
Many young people are starting to resent the older people, especially when they are incurring insurmountable debts to keep them alive. Add to that a horrible earthquake, and America's debt becomes impossible to fix.
This book starts pretty interesting and keeps the pace the whole time. There are a whole slew of characters who all seem to have nothing connecting them. I kinda figured from the beginning that they would all tie together in the end, but the characters just kept coming. It was quite a way into the book before new characters weren't introduced every chapter. Maybe having so many characters to learn about helped keep the book flowing. Either way, it worked. Most of the characters weren't developed highly, but they were developed enough to let you know them. Almost everyone can find at least one "main character" to relate to in this book.
I did kind of think the ending fizzled out a bit. I expected more to happen, but I wasn't highly disappointed. The book as a whole was very interesting and entertaining, and it really made me think. It opens up a world of discussions about the very realistic possibility of these events taking place in our future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2030.

Started Reading